Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RS Laminator speed is off

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by backwoodsgirl, Nov 18, 2018.

1. backwoodsgirl

backwoodsgirl New Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Michigan
    Since you guys were so helpful with my first question here's another mystery to solve :)
    I just bought a used Royal Sovereign cold laminator. It will only start to move when I click it up to level 3 speed and even that is snail slow. My last RS laminator ran at speed 1, usually didn't have to go past 2.
    Is the machine wearing out, something need oiled or adjusted or what? It's not a problem at this point just don't want to run it like this if something isn't right.

Already checked the tension on the laminate roll, it was tight but loosening it hasn't helped at all.

Tags:
  2. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    With the rollers completely open do they rotate at speed 1?
    Only the bottom roller will move when not clamped down, so you might need to get close to the action to see what's happening.

3. backwoodsgirl

backwoodsgirl New Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Michigan
    I’ll check that and let u know! Thx

4. backwoodsgirl

backwoodsgirl New Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Michigan
    Do YES the bottom roll does move at the lowest speed with the rollers opened up. Weird... so what’s that mean?

5. SignMeUpGraphics

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Does the top roller spin freely when not clamped down?

6. backwoodsgirl

backwoodsgirl New Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Michigan
    Yes, it does

7. Active Sign

Active Sign The Boss

Jul 8, 2013
    California
    Did you ever figure this out? My RS is doing the same thing. We just figured the motor is getting tired.

8. SignMeUpGraphics

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    From outward appearances, the laminator behaves the same as ours.
    I'm not sure what to suggest next however. Everything seems to be operating as it should.
    We had an issue this morning where our leader board got stuck (rollers weren't open enough to let it through when following a job) so we had to lift the roller and everything was back to normal.
    I wish I had something more creative to input.

9. backwoodsgirl

backwoodsgirl New Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Michigan
    Well crap you were supposed to have a solution for me :rolleyes: maybe I'll reach out to RS and see what they say. Curious mostly, it is getting the job done at least.