Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RTA Vinyl?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by VolunteerSign, Sep 4, 2012.

1. VolunteerSign

VolunteerSign Member

Jun 5, 2012
    I am fortunate to still have a lot of hand lettering work (maybe due to being in, what seems to be, the car show capital of the world). The amount of vinyl we cut is very little, with most people having us use printed vinyl instead (which I am already outsourcing).

If I had someone that would cut what little RTA stuff we use I would get rid of our plotters all together. Are there any members of Signs101 that cut vinyl for other shops?

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Seriously, if it's a pain for you, it will be for the next guy, so I doubt you'll get good service and prices from someone else.

3. VolunteerSign

VolunteerSign Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Yeah Gino you are probably right. I'm just old and spoiled I guess.

4. VolunteerSign

VolunteerSign Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Yeah probably couldn't be competitive getting it from you Pat lol..but thank you just the same. It's not a huge deal...either way just something I do so little of I almost don't even want to offer it at all. But ya kinda have to lol. Thanks again!

5. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Think about it for a second. Okay... time's up. :Oops:

He wants to outsource small die-cutting jobs, not prints, because they're a pain to him, so I'd imagine he's gonna want someone to cut, weed and tape it all up and still make money on onesies and twosies. There is no money in that for anyone and remain competitive for his/her customers.

He's be better off telling these people he cuts on Thursday, get someone in part-time that day, cut it all out, weed it and tape it up and pay them to go home and come back next Thursday.

6. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

We actually do a surprising amount of cut vinyl work for other shops. Gino's right, sometimes it can be a pain, especially smaller orders, but if you want to PM me I'll be glad to take a look at what you're doing and give you a price.

7. VolunteerSign

VolunteerSign Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Gino, Gino, Gino...no where did I say I wanted to outsource them because they were a pain. If that were the case I would have outsourced my wife :banghead:

Any more it seems that 80% of the jobs I get can be printed, 15% I hand letter and the other 5% is cut vinyl and everything else. Yet I have to keep racks of vinyl, and everything associated with it for those jobs that require cut vinyl. If I never hand lettered any more I wouldn't still keep my brushes ready or keep lettering enamel in stock either. But I did keep my mullet in case they are ever in style :smile:

8. ThinkRight

ThinkRight Active Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Atlanta Ga
    That is illegal if you get caught !
    :ROFLMAO:

9. VolunteerSign

VolunteerSign Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Yeah I suppose it is isn't it lol

10. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    To me, it sounds like it's a pain for you to do. You're still complaining about doing it, regardless of the reasons. In my book, something worth complaining about is usually a pain..... is that why you want to outsource your wife ??

11. VolunteerSign

VolunteerSign Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Actually, looking at it from your point of view Gino, I have outsourced two wives. But those two outsourcings cost me a LOT more than it was worth. "Marriage is grand..divorce is 100 grand".

12. knucklehead

knucklehead Active Member

Sep 24, 2007
    PM sent