• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Run Caldera RIP in Hyper-V Manager of Windows 8? or 7?

k_graham

Has anyone tried running a RIP in a virtual server of Windows 8 (or 7)?

I went with Caldera as a RIP for its stability, but also have Windows 8, using EasyBCD to choose appropriate hard drive at startup. I haven't the business yet to run the Caldera as a RIP all day so was wondering about running it in a virtual machine - the computer uses the latest Xeon 3.5 ghz that allows 4 virtual machines with 16 gb RAM currently a 256 gig ssd for Windows and 1 terabyte disk for Caldera. The ideal would be for it to continue using the separate disk for Caldera.

I turned on Hyper-V Manager in Windows 8 but there seems to be a lack of information beyond the turning on Hyper-V Manager.

Thanks,

Ken

particleman

You should make sure Caldera supports this. Just because it is a virtual machine doesn't mean it will necessary work as intended. Especially when connected to an external device. If it isn't officially supported I would not do it as you'll likely run into some odd bug.

Correct Color

Caldera is Mac or Linux only.

You can't run it on Windows at all.

But that said, there isn't any reason you can't do what you're considering, provided you set up the virtual machine as a Linux machine.

Mike Adams
Correct Color