Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running two Edges from one computer

Discussion in 'Gerber' started by Jase, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Jase

Jase Member

Jul 28, 2010
    South Wales
    As the title says. Can I run two Edges from one copy of Omega 3.0? Currently running an LE via a USB lead, I'm assuming I just plug the extra USB lead in and load our Edge 2 into Composer etc?

Haven't got the lead yet which is why I'm asking? Not to keen on shelling out another £750 for another copy of Omega to run on a different PC if this will work.

Thanks

Jason

Tags:
  2. Tony Teveris

Tony Teveris Active Member

I think that the only issue is if you unplug and plugin the cable in different USB ports the system gets messed up. If you leave everything in its initial setup it should work fine.

I've asked TechSupport and if they state anything different I will repost.

3. MikeD

MikeD Active Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Yes, multiple printers and plotters can be run from one copy.
    Just install them as
    Plotter 1
    plotter 2
    etc...
    Edge 1
    Edge 2
    etc...

4. Jase

Jase Member

Jul 28, 2010
    South Wales
    Thanks both, just ordered a new parrallel to USB lead from Spandex. Also bought a USB extension lead to make sure it will reach. Any known issues regarding using usb extension cables with the Edge?

Thanks

5. Tony Teveris

Tony Teveris Active Member

For extension cables you might be better off with a powered hub. I'm not sure what the official USB cable length is and if the signals are weak you will have nothing but headaches.

6. Jase

Jase Member

Jul 28, 2010
    South Wales
    Thanks Tony, just erected a desk next to the original Edge, best not have any/too many problems :)

7. Malkin

Malkin Very Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Augusta, ME
    We run an Edge LE from Omega 4.0 on Win7. I had to also use a 6ft USB extention cable inline with the USB to Parallel cable from Gerber.

The only issue that I have run into is an inability to send jobs that use 6 or more foils. I don't know which cable might be the culprit on that one. And it might have been more of a total memory issue and not just a set limit on foils.