• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rust

G-Artist

Here's what the sticker dudes are making.

Attachments

• Rust.jpg
    Rust.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 68

SignosaurusRex

I don't know about other areas but around here it seems to be very popular to have one panel, typically the vehicles hood be completely rusted. Typically german cars and predominantly VW's. They just strip the paint and then let nature take its course. They don't want a wrap on it....just the real deal. Must be for some sort of shock value auto fashion statement. I don't understand it.....although I could see having a pickup truck completely done that way with varying degrees of rust stage and then buried in a clear complimented with some nice tasteful lettering promoting an auto or metal refinishing business.:rolleyes:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
For VW's, they call them hoodrides. Rust repair can cost a fortune, some people want a hot rod but can't afford it, but have little cash or some of these old bugs, buses and ghias are beyond repair for the average hobby mechanic.

Basically you get a pre-1968 VW with the original paint job and engine, dump it, add some nice wheels, and cruise it...

It's used to be a cheap cruiser. I have seen people surround a hoodride and ignore the 50k fully restored bug. Problem now is that an unmolested original paint bug with patina is fetching a premium price.

skyhigh

Geez Rick, I had to google "hoodride" (how do you know this stuff? lol). If you read the comments below, my favorite is....."That poor car. Hopefully a grown up will come along and treat that car the way it should be treated". :ROFLMAO:

Guess I'm showing my age. Remember that commercial on tv....."you just ain't cool if your chrome don't shine" (thats me)

Rick

The idea about shiny chrome and paint is that it can be done at any time... patina takes time. Hoodride is just an offshoot of the rat rod. Anyway a person can get into rodding or a cruiser car, I'm all for it.

The reason I know about hoodrides is I have been into VW's for years. In the late 70's, you couldn't cruise around without seeing a few Cal Look bugs and later resto-mod VW's.

SignosaurusRex

This thread got me thinking and asking questions so I called my nephews down in the south sound area. They're VW freaks ( I mean that in a good way!) and they are working their way through college by customizing small imports especially VW's and Honda's. Many of the rides they do are complete custom builds. They tell me that the majority of what goes out the door completed has a perfect paint finish accompanied by a rusted hood. Its not a matter of low or no budget, the customer wants rust! They said ..."its rad, its sick,..... whatever they want"..."pretty much a fashion statement anymore in this area". Many of the rides they get are pristine in paint but when they leave, the hood is not what came in and in many cases the customer is mommy and daddy paying for what the kiddy wants. GO FIGURE! What ever happened to low budget, build it as you go and can afford Rat Rides. My first pickup truck had a rusty hood and fenders because I couldn't afford a can of Krylon primer if I wanted gasoline that week. I wish I still had that truck. I'd love to be able to drive it down to the Triple X on Friday night.....rust and all!
Hmmmmm..... I guess that maybe I do understand to some degree.:rolleyes: My hunting jeep is red, I dislike camo........rust might work well. Yah, Thats the ticket!!!:thumb:

Rick

I guess there is a fashion statement to it for some people now. My car was originally a Cal Look bug, basically you take off everything that would slow the car down, you did not need the bumpers, trim, back seat, spare tire, added light wheels, big carb engine and a close ratio trans that could handle it. I wanted the ability to blow the doors off a big or small block engined street machine. (I did not street race as a friend died doing it when I was young, just an occasional burn out) There were quite a few drag strips and a few VW events with drag racing so there was always a place to race. My dad bought me the car thinking it was just transportation (he was a street rodder when he was a kid) but I had to fix it up. I put every nickel and dime into that car. When the car was finished, my dad took it for a spin... he nearly crashed the car when he got on it.

I bought my kid a bug, except for the occasional rinse off, it has sat in the carport for 4 years.. go figure. The kids aren't getting my car if they can't fix up their own.