• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

?s about making a 3'x30' double sided banner

Mike F

Got a 3'x30' double sided banner to do and I have a few questions...

-I read in another thread that larger banners such as this should have sewn hems instead of taped. What type of thread needs to be used? Obviously we're not gonna use the same stuff you would sew a button back onto a shirt with.

-Can anyone recommend a double sided banner material? Or should I just print each side and then have them hemmed together? I'm guessing it's gonna be a big "NO" on the latter but figured I'd ask anyway.

That's about it. I've done banners before, but never this big (biggest so far has been a 3'x10'), and I've always used hem tape, so this is kind of new territory for me. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Play it safe and get double sided material and cut your die-cut vinyl and apply to both sides. Keep it in-house if you can. If it's to be digitally printed, just print double-sided media and send it back to where you buy your media and have them sew it and put double gussets in the corners.

Where and how is this thing going to be hung or mounted ?? That will decided if you put spring clips in it or not and use cables or ties.

Remember, that's almost 100 square foot of sail. That will go pretty far if the wind catches it right.

Last edited:

Letterbox Mike

Sew it definitely, and you can't sew this on a regular sewing machine, double-sided banner material is heavy as hell, you'll tear a non-commercial unit up in no time. Never use tape on a double-sided banner, especially if it's going over a road.

We use Bantex 18oz double-sided material, strong as can be. If you're doing cut vinyl though, just order the blank pre-sewn and apply the graphics.

Or outsource it printed and finished ready-to-hang.

LarryB

Got a 3'x30' double sided banner to do and I have a few questions...

-I read in another thread that larger banners such as this should have sewn hems instead of taped. What type of thread needs to be used? Obviously we're not gonna use the same stuff you would sew a button back onto a shirt with.

-Can anyone recommend a double sided banner material? Or should I just print each side and then have them hemmed together? I'm guessing it's gonna be a big "NO" on the latter but figured I'd ask anyway.

That's about it. I've done banners before, but never this big (biggest so far has been a 3'x10'), and I've always used hem tape, so this is kind of new territory for me. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I would sub it out to signs365 and not worry about it. I have started using them and am very pleased with their pricing and service.

Mike F

Play it safe and get double sided material and cut your die-cut vinyl and apply to both sides. Keep it in-house if you can. If it's to be digitally printed, just print double-sided media and send it back to where you buy your media and have them sew it and out double gussets in the corners.

Where and how is this thing going to be hung or mounted ?? That will decided if you put spring clips in it or not and use cables or ties.

Remember, that's almost 100 square foot of sail. That will go pretty far if the wind catches it right.

Yea I'm definitely trying to keep this in-house if I can, I feel like it's time to up my game a bit and this seems like a good opportunity. It'll most likely be printed, with the design I probably could do cut vinyl but the other banners we've done for this customer were all printed so I'd like to be consistent.

This is for a fairly big charity walk in Atlantic City in a few weeks, so I would imagine wind will be a little more of a concern than most places. I'm also guessing because of the nature of the event it'll be outside and over a road. I'll ask about that tomorrow morning when I get in, I'm the only one here at the moment besides the pressmen. We have salespeople here that write up the jobs (traditionally an offset shop, I'm actually the only guy in the wide format department), so I usually have to go back and forth for details.:banghead:

@insignia Thanks for the advice and the material recommendation, I appreciate you giving me your input when you could just as easily have said "sub it out to me".

As far as subbing out goes, like I said above, I'd really like to do as much of this in-house as possible, mainly just to get the experience doing something this big so that I can continue to improve myself. Probably should have stated that from the jump.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Anywhere in Atlantic City at this time of year is wind-y. Regardless of going across a street, the boardwalk, between buildings or between any two uprights.... your only concern is that it's strong enough.

Use at least 19oz with sewn hems and double gussets in the corners.

then you'll need spring clips sewn into the hems about every two feet top and bottom. You should have two cabled wires strung as taught as a piano string a foot above and below the banner. You clip the spring clips over the cable and tie the four corners off to keep it from moving back and forth. Your cable will stay put as long as the cables are strong and tight. This part could easily cost as much as the banner... if not more.

We just did a 4' x 40' banner and used this method. It's flat up against a building and no worry of going anywhere.