• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

?s about removable wall graphic

BRUSHMARKS

the material is Oracal 3268, removable wall vinyl. the demension is 104"x223" it was installed an a basically smooth painted sheetrock wall. It is on both walls of a hallway. we left about 2" all around from edge of wall and ceilling/floor. We printed full color on mimaki jv3, gassed out for 3 days. adn laminated with oracal 210 matte lam. we go to do the install and goes good. after a few panels we notice the tops and bottom are curling off the wall. but not the vertical edges. when we applyed we center hinged and worked center up then center down. It was wierd that only top and bottom were a problem. we installed all the graphics then came back with a 1" strip of 210m lam and went half on graphic and half on wall, seened to fix the problem. Question is has this happened to others? My only thought would have been to leave 1" or so of white around the print? Would this help any other steps you do to do wall graphics.

I don't have any pics of the curling, we fixed problem then came back with a camera.

Attachments

• BTD wall 4.jpg
    BTD wall 4.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 157

GB2

Old Member
Your install looks great except for those wicked wrinkles you got in the bottom...couldn't you have fixed that??

kustomkoncepts

I would not have laminated it Mark eslpecially you have a true solvent printer.

That could be the curling as the laminate may be tighter than the film. I don't laminate and I only have ECO sol inks.

ANYONE CORRECT ME HERE but do you ever or are you supost to laminate wall film??

I have used the oracal wall and no laminates buy do apply heat and rollers to it once tacked to the wall especially a lot of heat and ROLE-PRo to the edges.

BRUSHMARKS

I would not have laminated it Mark eslpecially you have a true solvent printer.

That could be the curling as the laminate may be tighter than the film. I don't laminate and I only have ECO sol inks.

ANYONE CORRECT ME HERE but do you ever or are you supost to laminate wall film??

I have used the oracal wall and no laminates buy do apply heat and rollers to it once tacked to the wall especially a lot of heat and ROLE-PRo to the edges.
We weren't going to laminate but the ink scratched off fairly easily and they were going to be writing on the wall and it was the wallway to their break room, so we figured people would be rubbing up against it alot.

WB

There's 2 different versions of the wall graphic film, one is think and can go with out a over-lam the and the other ones needs it. I've done a few installs and had the same problem in a few cases. I even have it at home in our nursery. I think the issues is the ink still drying and curling up the edges and the stuff just isn't that sticky.. LAst install I did I actually applied a 1-2" strip of 3640 on the bottom of the wall because I find it'll sticks better to vinyl. I know it defeats the purpose of removeable but I cleared it with the client 1st.

jay*doc

I would say yes to the laminate, for protections sake. You never know what people are going to be cleaning the wall, and if they are cleaning the wall, while wearing a ring and slip, well, there goes the graphic.

I would suggest using a cast laminate though, to prevent the added stress to the media if the laminate starts to shrink, but you saw this failure almost immediate. I'd check the tension of the roll of laminate on the laminator, that could account for it lifting at the top and bottom, but not on the sides (if the laminate tension was much greater then the print media tension).

Good Luck, and good thinking on the fix. But removal of the straight laminate on the wall could pose an issue down the road..

I recently played with some of this stuff myself, I did not laminate but I did have the exact same problem with curling. I found that after a few days of constant pushing it back down it now stays flat. Strange but true...