• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S class 2 D75 tracking and crashing

timstudio

I bought a S2D75 a couple of months ago to replace my D60. The D60 has been rocksolid for almost 8 years, cutting daily about 20-40 meters of vinyl. It never missed a beat.

So I upgraded to the S2. It crashes sometimes when releasing the pressure of the rollers. Sometimes multiple times a day, sometimes not for days. It's totally random. Message is Y-axis error and Overflow. The cutting head moves about an inch, I hear a beep of 1 second and the machine freezes. Power off, power on and it's all ok again.

Also the tracking seems off. Sometimes. Cutting bonnet stripes or rectangular racing stripes is russian roulette. Sometimes its perfect, sometimes it's off by 5 - 10 mm. Also completely random. I tried to log vinyl, brands, thickness, weight of roll, speed etc. Both problems are totally random.

My tech is very helpful. Replaced Y axis motor, didn't solve the problem. Replaced main motherboard, didn't solve the problem. Because it's totally random it's hard to pinpoint what causes this. So now we are waiting for Summa for more possibilities.

I was told to slow down all speed parameters. That didn't help. I was told it's adviced to run as slow as possible for most accuracy. That kind of bothers me, because it's like replacing a VW Polo (D60) with an Audi A4 (S2D) and being told not to drive on the highway because it might crash.

I've done all alignments, and I have, as told in the beginning, 8 years of experience with cutting hundertds of miles flawlessly.

Does anybody here have a clue what might be going on or in which direction we should look? I'm not complaining about the dealer I bought it from. They allready told me they will solve it no matter what. I'm just trying to help them pinpoint the problem since we're kind off stuck where to look.

FrankW

Tracking issues: shure you have autoload enabled? With this option enabled (is enabled by default) the plotter will spool media off the roll before plotting, to avoid running into roll weight while plotting. Do you use the media flanges? Check the backing of the media you use, and compare the grit roller tracks with the attached image). Do you reduce the pinch roller pressure?

Y-Error: looks like the cutting head blocks sometimes. One possible error could be the flat cable to the cutting head. It regularly runs smooth, but it could happen that it leads to such a problem. When the error appears, after switching the machine off, can the head be moved easily by hand?

Sometimes strange effects can be solved by setting the machine back to factory defaults by uploading the individual factory settings with Summa Cutter Control. This data can be downloaded through the end of the download site of the summa webpage, by entering your serial number.

Attachments

• 0513A1F1-FAA7-481E-8D25-67B5B5ED60C1.jpeg
    0513A1F1-FAA7-481E-8D25-67B5B5ED60C1.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 130

timstudio

Autoload enabled, pinch roller pressure is standard, media flanges are used (never on my D60) when cutting stripes longer than 100cm, back i have to check when problems appears.

Y-error...will try that next time it happends.

Firmware is updated every time tech was here to troubleshoot.

Thanks for the reply. I will look into your suggestions when errors happen.

timstudio

Well, it crashed :)

Head could be moved easily by hand. No difference with normal movement.
Placement of head before crashing is also random. It might be halfway machine, it might be almost in 'rest' position. It moves about an inch, beeps and locks up.

Tried to get in on video for a couple of months now. After filming for about 30 times in which it didn't crash, every time I stop filming, it crashes within a couple of times. Murphy law.

Edit...tried several times again, and got in on video! Yeaha.....Will post asap.

Last edited:

FrankW

Strange. I would really try to download the factory settings from the summa homepage und overwrite the current internal install.

If this wont help, replacement of the mainboard could be neccessary.

By the way: could it be that some magnetic effect take place? For example, is a big electrical motor working near your cutter? Or a strong power line in the wall behind the cutter?

timstudio

Y-axis motor has been replaced, mainboard has been replaced. It;s actually a large room in a normal house, so no big electrical motors or powerlines nearby.. Problem was present from moment of install. Machine was bought new about 6 months ago.

Dealer and tech are not letting me down. Just trying to help them pinpoint the problem.

Could it be the summa doesn't like coldplay?