• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S\Help sawing rolls of lam and adhesive in half

D&LItems

Cut rolls

I bought a blade for my bandsaw from a local saw works store that is like a serrated knife blade to cut foam. No chiseled teeth, just smooth cut, might work with the lam roll.

signdudegraphix

We used to use our laminator.
Put the roll on and have it turn.
We made a jig that we held against the edge of the laminator and applied pressure with a razor knife.
Never had a problem.
Home made slitter... Lol

I think this will work great with the new laminator I'm getting. Can you share some photos of the jig you use?

ddarlak

Go Bills!
We made a jig that we held against the edge of the laminator and applied pressure with a razor knife.
Never had a problem.

i have done something similar to this, but the laminator is too slow. i put the vinyl in my application tape holder at the end of my table, then i had two 2" x 6" x 40" that i had screwed together top and bottom with a 1/16" space and guides on either end that were the width of my material. i drilled a few holes where i wanted my material to be slit down (30" - slitting a 36" roll) and inserted a blade from a box cutter. i held the blade in with a drywall set screw. slit the material about 6" to get it started and fed it through the jig. then just pulled it through until the roll was done. we did about 30-40 rolls like this for a few years until we got our supplier to do it for free.......

i finally realized that if you are buying quantity, you can get what you want for free by just saying, "your competator has offered to cut them down for free"........

Graphics2u

Never had a problem.
Home made slitter... Lol
Done the same thing. although it is a little time consuming.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Is there a product opportunity here? Note that saws, at least all saws with toothed blades, cut by chipping the material away, not by slicing through it.

How about a tool like a large tubing or pipe cutter with a utility knife blade rather than a cutting wheel?

Just mark where you want to cut and spin the cutter around the roll a few times for a perfectly clean and accurate cut.

The tool would not have to be large, heavy, and overpowering, it's not cutting steel, just a bit of vinyl. A prototype could probably be fashioned from wood, some casters, a length of threaded rod, and this and that.

Maybe I'll spend my otherwise lazy Sunday afternoon whomping up something.

I was thinking about adapting a cheap lathe to cut down rolls ... all i would need is a rest bar and a thick handled flat chizel to sharpen to a razor edge to cut through the vinyl. figured I would need 4 pieces to adapt out a roll of material (2 in the middle as the new rough supports so it doesn't tear itself apart and 2 on the edges)

TwoNine

I didn't read all the posts - but we have had success cutting them on the shop saw or band saw and then sanding the cut edges, very briefly and without over overaggressive, with 40-80 grit sandpaper to remove some of the adhesives that build up on the cut side. Hope this helps!