• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S160 T OPOS firmware issue

Mpuks

I'm asking this here before trying Summa support because, if I understand/recall correctly, support calls require payment (out of warranty); apologies if I'm mistaken.

Without getting lost in too much contextual background; basically, someone updated the firmware in the recent past (more recently than we last used the OPOS-cam), and now the machine attempts to lower the camera as part of the OPOS procedure. The issue there is that our model was purchased at the end of 2009, and the camera is rigidly mounted to the carriage (i.e. it cannot be lowered), so I assume there was some design modification at some point since our model was manufactured.

So, would anyone happen to have, or know where I could acquire older firmware revisions? If I recall correctly, revision 35 or earlier.

Mpuks

Where did you get your cutter from? Try them first for tech help

I was in a different department back then, but the documentation I have related to the machine indicates we bought it from Summa. Since that was back in December 2009, it is well past the 3-year warranty.

jerry369

(more recently than we last used the OPOS-cam), and now the machine attempts to lower the camera as part of the OPOS procedure. The issue there is that our model was purchased at the end of 2009, and the camera is rigidly mounted to the carriage
You wrote OPOS-cam, but do you have a T 160 or a T4 160 (TC in the S2 Class serie)? OPOS-cam must not be lowered even in the new plotters, only the OPOS sensor must be lowered. Are you sure the right S Class model has been set in the motherboard firmware?

Last edited:

Mpuks

You wrote OPOS-cam, but do you have a T 160 or a T4 160 (TC in the S2 Class serie)? OPOS-cam must not be lowered even in the new plotters, only the OPOS sensor must be lowered. Are you sure the right S Class model has been set in the motherboard firmware?

The model listed on the factory sticker is "S160T4"; all I know is that someone upgraded the firmware that is listed as the latest in the "S Class Series", md9980_039 (so revision 39 I'm guessing). Is there a revision specific to the models with the opos-cam vs sensor, or way to view what the current configuration is?

Mpuks

You can read the exact model set in the motherboard from the plotter display or with Summa Cutter Control.

The only thing it states is model "S160T" and the ROM revision. I'm guessing the control panel has some hidden sub-menu with more information?

jerry369

The only thing it states is model "S160T" and the ROM revision.
For some reason the model set up on the plotter's motherboard has changed, it can happen. Now your plotter thinks it is a S160T (with OPOS sensor) and not a S160T4 (with OPOS-cam), this is the reason why it tries to lower the sensor.
You need a technical support to set the right model to the motherboard, restoring the old firmware will not solve the problem. You can try to download the backup file of your plotter from https://www.summa.eu/en/vinyl-cutter-downloads (go to the end of the page and enter the plotter serial number). If the backup file is available send it to the plotter using Summa Cutter Control Program (use the Restore backup command).

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi Mpuks,

This should be a pretty easy fix to change the model back to what it should be. Here are the steps for changing the model on your S160T4 -

1.) Upon boot up press your finger below the "S" on Summa.
2.) The plotter will beep and enter into service mode.
3.) Hit continue.
4.) Scroll down until you see select machine type and click on that.
5.) Select your model, which is the S160T4.
6.) Reboot the plotter after that and you should be all set.

We(Airmark) do offer extended support plans and our technicians can assist with any additional troubleshooting that you may need to do after you reset the model.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

Mpuks

Hi Mpuks,

This should be a pretty easy fix to change the model back to what it should be. Here are the steps for changing the model on your S160T4 -

1.) Upon boot up press your finger below the "S" on Summa.
2.) The plotter will beep and enter into service mode.
3.) Hit continue.
4.) Scroll down until you see select machine type and click on that.
5.) Select your model, which is the S160T4.
6.) Reboot the plotter after that and you should be all set.

We(Airmark) do offer extended support plans and our technicians can assist with any additional troubleshooting that you may need to do after you reset the model.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

That did the trick! Much thanks and a shout out to you and the great support team over there; I'd heard good things about Summa service before and from this interaction I can say they seem to be true. Almost too bad this machine has gone almost a decade of frequent use without needing any support.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Glad to hear that you got everything sorted out. As always, feel free to reach out anytime if we can help out.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com