• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S40600 ink cart NOT empty

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Average yield of our last 10,000sq.ft printed is 0.6mL per sq.ft.
Since prices vary around the world, feel free to calculate this in your own currency.
Here in Australia that works out to approx. AUD$0.14 per sq.ft (USD$0.10).

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Epson bundles their own accounting software that is likely more accurate than Colorgate could ever be. It talks directly with the printer rathan than guessing ink volumes.
We have estimation turned on in Onyx, but nothing will beat reading directly from the print heads.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We're sending this thread off topic now...

But for our accounting info we just use the Epson LFP Accounting Tool which polls the printer directly for job info.
We use Onyx ProductionHouse 12.2 to control our Epson (and another 2 printers).

coastguy111

Would I need to contact Epson in regards to accessing the accounting software as I'm not aware of this being bundled with my printer purchase?

Epson bundles their own accounting software that is likely more accurate than Colorgate could ever be. It talks directly with the printer rathan than guessing ink volumes.
We have estimation turned on in Onyx, but nothing will beat reading directly from the print heads.

coastguy111

So I just did some of my own super-official, totally scientific testing. Dumped out the "empty" ink cart and sure enough, 150ml left in the bag.

In the video I posted above they mention the weight of ink is 1.08g/ml, but they're using water-based ink. In a document I found online from Onyx about ink calculation they mention the weight of solvent ink being 0.7-0.9g/ml, so I went with the average of 0.8g/ml. That means 700ml of ink would weigh roughly 560g. A full ink cart weighs in at 894g, and my empty cart (AFTER dumping the left over ink out) weighs in at 217g. 849g - 271g = 677g. So, by my calculations, there is approximately 145ml of extra ink in the cartridge when new.

Whew! I feel a whole lot better knowing Epson isn't intentionally trying to screw me (at least not with the ink!). Still seems awfully wasteful, and that's a lot of ink ending up in landfills...lord knows I already send a buttload of plastic (in the form of vinyl and substrate scraps) to the landfill.
217 or 271?