• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help S60600 power requirements

Tuanny

Hello guys I just purchased a S60600 and it says it requires 2 outlet plugs for the printer (10A x2) 20 amps + another outlet for the heater. Im putting this printer in the garage and I took a look at my breaker box and it says my garage can handle 15 amps. does that mean i need to upgrade my circuit breaker and wiring to 20 amps or higher? I will also have my plotter, laminator and a fridge in there.

jimmmi

Fo upgrading the outlets you need to check also if the cable awg is enough.
So the epson needs 3 outlets to work?

Tuanny

Fo upgrading the outlets you need to check also if the cable awg is enough.
So the epson needs 3 outlets to work?
yah the epson s60600 needs 3 because of the additional dryer if not the s40600 and s80600 only needs 2

ikarasu

It should be on its own outlet. No way you can run all three on one breaker.

Do you have empty breaker slots? It being in the garage close to the breaker box I'd run new wiring and use empty breakers for your printer.

Something like this is best for an electrician...it's something super basic, but still.... Last thing you want is to do it wrong and burn your garage down. Check on Craigslist for one... Shouldn't cost more Than A few hundred.

netsol

yes, tuanny
15 amp service is carried on a 14/3 or thicker (probably 12/3 {lower number is heavier})
you will need probably a 50 or 60 amp service,
this can be provided by running 2 or 3 12/3 wires. fed by 30 amp breakers, but, perfect world, a 50 or 60 amp subpanel (a small circuit breaker panel in the garage, with a 50 or 60 amp breaker, with 20 amp breakers for each machine coming out of tbe panel

an electrician will need to run a piece of 8/3 wire from house to garage (or, as i said, 2 or 3 additional 12/3. drops)

not a good idea to cheat on this and starve equipment for power when it runs, lights will dim & you will beat the hell out of your expensive electronics

you don't want to overheat the wire feeding the garage (fire danger) and you certainly don't want to join the group who blow a system board during a storm and take a $2000 hit and suffer downtime

i am not trying to scare you, but give you good advice to save you money in the long run
(search signs101 for main board or system board to see how frequent this type of problem is

jfiscus

Rap Master
Ours runs on its own breaker, but it all plugs into the same surge protector which goes into 1 outlet.
I'd definitely run 3 different wires from the breaker box over to the 3 different machines. If necessary, maybe add a sub-panel with a main breaker for these items and then branch out from there to the individual outlets. I'd put your PC and RIP on their own also if you're going that route.

Tuanny

Okay will have an electrician take a look at it then to be on the safe side. Thanks for the replies.

Zach Starr

Head of Printing Operations
Hello guys I just purchased a S60600 and it says it requires 2 outlet plugs for the printer (10A x2) 20 amps + another outlet for the heater. Im putting this printer in the garage and I took a look at my breaker box and it says my garage can handle 15 amps. does that mean i need to upgrade my circuit breaker and wiring to 20 amps or higher? I will also have my plotter, laminator and a fridge in there.

Yes, i would recommend actually putting in a 30amp breaker just to have some extra power, if you need the 3rd outlet in future for extra dryer

netsol

greysquirrel,
you can not run multipe 20's off a 15 amp feed.
the fridge, for example, will not be polite enough to wait for the compressor to start until he is done printing or cutting.

15 amp breaker, to a garage is probably fed by 14 guage wiring.
20 amp requires 12 guage. have i ever run a 20 amp breaker on 14 guage? of course.
would i run a printer requiring 2 15's PLUS A HEATER (his description) plus other equipment, requiring it's own service + that fridge + lighting ? NEVER

if he is handy, he can get permit and do a "home owner cert" get someone who has done this before to check his work, or run all te wiring according to code & pay an electrician to hook it up.

remember, he won't be saving money if he ends up losing a system board or even if he screws up work, every time there is a power surge

i don't want to see him doing the equivelent of running my panel saw on one of those little white extension cords meant for a lamp

greysquirrel

the printer uses 3amps, the heaters use 12 and the extra fan on the front is just a fan. Never had one issue with power from one outlet. But by all means, run individual lines...that would work as well.