• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S80600 or?

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
So, a (loaded) question set.

I'm looking to expand our production, and am mildly fixated by the Epson S80600. Looking at the setup guide, it asks for 145.5" in front - is this regularly needed? All benches and machines are be on wheels, so will, if needs be, have the option to shift stuff around, but what is the day to day front access requirement? We're seeing ex-demo 80600's for around £10,000, which could be doable. We're also looking at adding/replacing our 8400 with a new 60/64 art printer. We'll be upgrading rip to (probably) Caldera, as I'm a mac user, and lazy (though if the devil calls, I'll run a PC for the rip). I'm open to other rips, and very used to rolling my own profiles.

What are the outputs from the eco-solvents on matt self-adhesive papers like, and for that matter, on blue backed paper (eco-friendly options, as well as budget friendly self install being asked for) - trying to create display options that don't feature PVC...

Being able to take advantage of the full colour gamut on temporary (wall mounted) SAV and phototex, as well as not laminating banners is a big part of why I'm tempted by the s80600. Don't need silver or white, but appreciate the enhanced gamut offered by 9 colours, over 4. Based in London, so UV isn't too much of an issue for exterior graphics that typically are only out in the wild for a couple of years.

Is there another "cheap" machine I should consider?

Currently run an ageing Canon 8400 aqueuos printer. Work is split 60:40 art papers and signage materials (we print photographic exhibitions, but also supply local clients with "art quality" banner, backlit, display graphics). Moving to a new premises early next year, more space for production. We'll be in a basement, though there is a loading dock, and ramp down to us - initially around 800sq ft, 9ft ceilings, good air extraction, more localised extraction could be placed adjacent to printer.

Current bottle necks are: no roll to roll (either printer or laminator), so having to cut sheets every 5-6 foot, and tape these to the walls to dry; SAV, banner and backlit all really need lamination, both for protection, and to help bring the colour density out; printer is rather slow in output - primary requirement is quality, but not always. 44" is a bit small. Our 44" Drytac laminator is getting old and crotchety, so also looking to go to a 64" (probably Seal) with R2R.

Thank you for listening, and apologies that my google-fu didn't prevent me from asking, writing all this.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
So, a (loaded) question set.

I'm looking to expand our production, and am mildly fixated by the Epson S80600. Looking at the setup guide, it asks for 145.5" in front - is this regularly needed?
I can tackle the first question... if you spool up your prints, you don't really need that much room. I love our Epson S80600. Sometimes when printing posters with a lot of ink coverage, I won't spool them, but let them kinda spool out onto the floor - in this situation you would need more room.

Humble PM

Thank you, that helps, and is what I do currently, but further questions...
Posters, as in on a paper matt, lustre, gloss; is this at production speed? I have regular print queues that I could run overnight with a pass delay.

I see there is a dryer option on the 60600, wondering if this would help, assuming it could be set to low? (sorry, haven't read the spec far enough...

Boudica

Our typical go-to poster paper is Sihl 8mil Poster paper with a satin finish. Occasionally 6mil. The profile we use (Onyx) is "3686 Paper white 228" 360@720x720 - 8 pass High Quality. Compared to our Roland XR-640 - the Epson is super fast - and quiet. I suppose you could dumb it down and it might be faster, but we do everything at high quality. It's fast enough for us (sometimes too fast - and I've gotten good at trying to spool it when there are a few feet on the floor)

Humble PM

Thank you.
Currently don't have a sales team, and limited post production support (looking at bringing on a couple of apprentices), so speed isn't too much of an issue.

Quiet is good for me.

Any issues with loading larger rolls - I'm starting to feel my age, so heavier logs of media, I'd benefit from not being stooped over?

Boudica

Me too, it's getting more challenging to load heavy media - a brand new roll of banner or wall paper is like 80lbs. that get's rough. There are these lifting things in the back of the Epson which do help when they aren't in my @#$%$^ way. but they are only in my way when I'm late spooling up media - so I guess that's on me.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
Hi, I don’t have a 80600 but do have a 60600.

-you don’t need much room in front or back. We have a wall 2ft behind it and unless it’s a massive roll it’s not bad to load. The media feels about the same height as the mimaki and Roland printers we’ve used. I can’t imagine needing more than a few feet in front of it.

-I’m pretty sure that it’ll print well on any coated media you throw at it. We’ve done a bunch of variations of similar fabrics to phototex. Not sure why but we have to sometimes program it to do a cleaning every ten ft or so or we get banding on this material

-ours is dead quiet although others have complained it makes a high pitched whine

-aside from no automated media cutter it’s a great printer And prints dry really quick

greysquirrel

You will not require a dryer for the printer. The s60 has a dryer because it's a dual head CMYK printer designed for speed. The s80 is the same dual head, just utilizes the channels differently. You don't need to run the printer with silver or white, you can keep a cleaning cartridge in to keep the channel alive. At a later date if you have a project for white and silver, add then switch back to cleaning cartridge. There is no printer at this price point better than the s80. The only other printer you may want to look at is the Colorado M. The quality is insane and you can order without white.

Humble PM

Thank you - I'd figured it might be a speed related feature. Could it be of benefit for drying / out gassing for for high inkload runs?
Nice that you can drop white or silver in, if needed; I'd imagine there is a fair amount of cleaning fluid used to take it back to 9 channel.
Colorado would be over kill in the short- mid term, but hopefully one day.

Humble PM

Hi, I don’t have a 80600 but do have a 60600.

-you don’t need much room in front or back. We have a wall 2ft behind it and unless it’s a massive roll it’s not bad to load. The media feels about the same height as the mimaki and Roland printers we’ve used. I can’t imagine needing more than a few feet in front of it.

-I’m pretty sure that it’ll print well on any coated media you throw at it. We’ve done a bunch of variations of similar fabrics to phototex. Not sure why but we have to sometimes program it to do a cleaning every ten ft or so or we get banding on this material

-ours is dead quiet although others have complained it makes a high pitched whine

-aside from no automated media cutter it’s a great printer And prints dry really quick
Thank hybrid, that all helps a lot. Nice that you can program in cleaning - I can see a real use for that for unattended overnight runs, as well as for the fabrics.

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
Thank you - I'd figured it might be a speed related feature. Could it be of benefit for drying / out gassing for for high inkload runs?
Nice that you can drop white or silver in, if needed; I'd imagine there is a fair amount of cleaning fluid used to take it back to 9 channel.
Colorado would be over kill in the short- mid term, but hopefully one day.
It really doesn't use that much cleaning fluid but it takes about 20 minutes to do the ink change.

Humble PM

That's good to know - we have various clients who like options - I'll look at how to price accordingly.

Humble PM

Spanner in the works - just seen an HP360 asking for £3500. Has had 3 maintenance kits installed, so is up to date on service, and needs to move from its current home, so a replacement can fit in.

Fewer channels, but cheaper. Used, so no warranty. Self callibrating (but that's not really an issue) and self correcting.
Latex is waterbased (eco-tick-mark-checked), and no real delay between print and use.

Taps fingers on table in a sense of confusion.