• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sabre 408 Chatter

StarSign

This is 1/2" sintra routed with a 1/8" bit on 3 passes, I get this consistent chatter in a few spots. Could this be a mechanical problem, or is it the file (we can not see the chatter in the file). Thanks all, balmy 117 today!

StarSign

Sorry here is the pic

Attachments

• Router.jpg
    Router.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 126

GVP

I wonder if the bit is too small - 1/8 doesn't allow much of a kerf width to clear the chips away, they could clogging the bit?

nwsigns

Looks like your material is moving on you, even slight movement up and down will cause that - especially with a an up cutting bit.

fixtureman

it looks like to many nodes in the arc. I cut 6m 12m 18m and 25m sintra all the time with a 1/8 bit and don't have that problem unless the file needs cleaning up

SebastienL

The material is moving or somethin' is loose on the machine. Check if you have any play in the X and Y axis. If you can move any of the axis simply by pushing back and forth, it's the machine. Play can develop over time in the rack and pinion. A driver card can burn out. Try cutting small circle and check if they are round. If not, for sure it's the machine.

Ragnarok1958

+1 Starsign. I had the same trouble with 3/4'' MDF using a 1/4'' bit. I contacted Gerber about it a few years ago and was told it is caused by lead-screw wear (the problem didn't show up until after many years of machine use). I've found the "Auto" setting sometimes doesn't slow down everywhere it should imo. I also now use the "slow" setting exclusively for cuts where appearance matters.

BTW first post, still looking around.

R.

johnnysigns

X and Y axis lead screws is a costly repair. I know because we just went down that road w/ our gerber vendor. 3 passes on 1/2" sounds excessive w/out knowing the material in question.

Dropout

We changed the acceleration from auto to slow.....now it's smooth as a baby's butt!!!

Which doesn't mean the cause wasn't the material moving around during cutting. All your doing by slowing down the acceleration is slowing down the speed. I don't know about you, but I can't afford to run my machine with slow accel. It's also tough on the tool bits.

When my lead screws were going bad I didn't see any decrease in edge quality, just constant Y axis failures coming back to Y0.