Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sabre 408 Chatter

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by StarSign, Jul 11, 2012.

1. StarSign

StarSign Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    This is 1/2" sintra routed with a 1/8" bit on 3 passes, I get this consistent chatter in a few spots. Could this be a mechanical problem, or is it the file (we can not see the chatter in the file). Thanks all, balmy 117 today!

Tags:
  2. StarSign

StarSign Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Sorry here is the pic

Attached Files:

3. GVP

GVP Active Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Swift Current, SK
    I wonder if the bit is too small - 1/8 doesn't allow much of a kerf width to clear the chips away, they could clogging the bit?

4. nwsigns

nwsigns Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Monroe wa
    Looks like your material is moving on you, even slight movement up and down will cause that - especially with a an up cutting bit.

5. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    +1 for material hold-down issue

6. fixtureman

fixtureman Member

May 16, 2012
    Medina Ohio
    it looks like to many nodes in the arc. I cut 6m 12m 18m and 25m sintra all the time with a 1/8 bit and don't have that problem unless the file needs cleaning up

7. signguy

signguy ugh

Feb 23, 2004
    cape coral fla
    are you using a single or double flute bit?
    I've had chatter like that using a double flute on 1/2 pvc before

8. SebastienL

SebastienL Active Member

Jul 14, 2008
    The material is moving or somethin' is loose on the machine. Check if you have any play in the X and Y axis. If you can move any of the axis simply by pushing back and forth, it's the machine. Play can develop over time in the rack and pinion. A driver card can burn out. Try cutting small circle and check if they are round. If not, for sure it's the machine.

9. StarSign

StarSign Active Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    We changed the acceleration from auto to slow.....now it's smooth as a baby's butt!!!

10. Ragnarok1958

Ragnarok1958 New Member

Nov 13, 2012
    +1 Starsign. I had the same trouble with 3/4'' MDF using a 1/4'' bit. I contacted Gerber about it a few years ago and was told it is caused by lead-screw wear (the problem didn't show up until after many years of machine use). I've found the "Auto" setting sometimes doesn't slow down everywhere it should imo. I also now use the "slow" setting exclusively for cuts where appearance matters.

BTW first post, still looking around.

R.

11. johnnysigns

johnnysigns Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2004
    East Coast
    X and Y axis lead screws is a costly repair. I know because we just went down that road w/ our gerber vendor. 3 passes on 1/2" sounds excessive w/out knowing the material in question.

12. Dropout

Dropout Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Which doesn't mean the cause wasn't the material moving around during cutting. All your doing by slowing down the acceleration is slowing down the speed. I don't know about you, but I can't afford to run my machine with slow accel. It's also tough on the tool bits.

When my lead screws were going bad I didn't see any decrease in edge quality, just constant Y axis failures coming back to Y0.