• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SAI is GREEDY

Stealth Ryder

I heard a story today from a friend in Louisiana that really makes me wonder!!! Seems my friend's shop was broken into a few weeks ago, all computers were stolen as well as many other things. The Hard Keys for 3 copies of Flexi were in the computers and were stolen as well. The police came and prepared a Police Report and he has turned it over to his Insurance Company. He called SAi and they insist that he pay FULL Price ($4295.00) minus 40% per copy to replace all of them. As usual the Insurance Company is dragging their feet in settling. I always thought when you purchase software it is the license you are purchasing and that you own that license forever... I mean, all they have to do is deactivate the 3 Hard Keys, charge him the $99.00 per key fee to replace them (that is the policy if the key is damaged) and everybody is happy. Makes me wonder if I ever want to spend anymore money with this company ever again. What are your thoughts?

chopper

you cannot deactivate the keys they are a physical key, that is why they will not give you a new one, if they do there will be the previous copies out there
still working and they didn't receive payment for..
//chopper

Stealth Ryder

All of the keys for 8.6 check in periodically with the SAi Server for registration information/verification. It would be caught very quickly I think, especially if that registration was canceled on the Registration Server. Chopper, do I understand that you agree with the SAi policy on stolen Keys? Remember, there is an official Police Report. I think there has to be a way to provide this guys with the program licensing he has already paid for. Maybe I am wrong about this, I just don't know. I truly don't think I will ever spend another dollar on their products based on this guy's experience.

chopper

sorry the key checking in thing I have never heard of, I had a copy of flexi and had lost the key went rounds with flexi and no dice, I was fortunate enough to find the key..
//chopper

Stealth Ryder

I understand Chopper. I learned this from a little reading on the SAi website this afternoon. Seems to me that they could be somewhat forgiving in a situation like this. When you buy a copy of Windows, you own the registration for life. When you purchase a game, you own the registration for life. This is the case in any software I have ever purchased except it seems for my 2 copies of Flexi. It just got me to thinking if want to deal with folks who treat their customers like that. I mean, if he just lost it that would be a whole other conversation I think, but it was stolen and he did exactly what he was supposed to do according to the law...

chopper

I feel for ya, once I found the key I sold it wasn't hard to do after getting treated like crap, I like signlab much better than flexi
//chopper

Stealth Ryder

Smart move on your part Chopper, think I will begin trying out other options after seeing how this guy is being kicked while down by this company. As my daddy always said " there is always a better way to do something if you just look around".

Ryder

briankb

Premium Subscriber
sounds like they suck!

I only use illustrator so I'm biased but at least we only had to pay that tax once... ok a few times but the upgrades are cheaper. for $5k you could get CS4 Master plus decent amount of training for Illustrator.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Many years ago, I had a computer stolen about 7 months after I bought it…. along with quite a few other things. I had serial numbers, pictures, police reports and you name it… I had it. I called Anagraph and they said I had to pay the whole thing over again. Back then, a complete turnkey system cost about $38,000…. gulp. That’s right and I had to pay it over again, but wait…. the insurance company steps up to the plate and says…. Well, you have deductable and we must deduct 20% off the cost for depreciation. :frustrated: ??

I argued til I was blue in the face. Well, I had to cough up an extra $7,600 for the 20% and $1,000 for the deductible.

My argument was two part…. I didn’t understand the 5 year thing making my computer system worth $7,600 less... when I had no intention of ever re-selling it, plus I asked Anagraph, can’t they cut me a deal ??

Everyone said… we’re in the business of doing business…. not deciding whom to give breaks to and for what reasons. We have rules and regulations and these are our rules and regulations.

So tell your friend to be thankful it’s only $4,500 and suck it up. I understand the principles and logistics from your end, but these companies are not in the business to help us without getting paid dearly for it.

Ha… I even told them, I had replacement value and they said, yeah… replacement at today’s prices less your depreciation. Make sure you know your policy inside out.

Stealth Ryder

Sounds like a great deal Brian. He is currently running 3 printers, I think. Which means he needs 3 separate RIP programs, I can see why he is frustrated. That would probably put me out of business, if had to cough up that much money because some low-life broke into my building and stole my livelihood. It just don't seem right to have to pay for the same thing more than once. I mean, he already owns the license 3 times over... Think I will start locking my Hard Keys in the safe each night and keep my .45 next to me during the day just in case some hoodlum robs me. I mean theres more money in stealing Hard Keys than in stealing the computers...

Stealth Ryder

Good Advice Gino... I am locking my stuff up when not in use and guarding it with my life during the day... That's stuff is worth more than GOLD I tell ya...

Pat Whatley

Tell him to put a sign outside offering a $1000 no questions asked reward for the dongles. I know two people who have had unreal results (including a bidding war) doing that. The key is to make sure the reward is high enough to get somebody to risk it.

Paying the $1000 would hurt but not as bad as $4500.

Graphics2u

I can understand the feeling that Flexi could cut a guy a break in an extreme situaton like this.
However look at it from another standpoint, If the thieves would have also taken Desks and Chairs, should the Office supply store give him a deal? Let's say they stole the new shop truck also, should the Dealer that sold it to Him give him a deal?
That's why all of us carry or at least should carry Insurance, And in this case if the insurance is dragging their feet, that's where his real probem is. There are different types of Insurance as well. If you can, always make sure your policy is a replacement cost policy. That way you can avoid the depreciation problem. The trouble is alot of times a person only finds out what kind of coverage they have when it's too late. I found out about replacement cost policies when some friends of mine's apartment house burned many many years ago. They got taken by their own insurance company. I guess once that happens to you or someone you know it's worth the little extra cost on the policy.

I feel for your buddy though. Did he have his files backed up anywhere?

signage

Stealth Rider the hard ware keys do not always talk to SAI what if your production computers do not have internet access!

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
When upgrading to version 8.5+ Scanvec gives you the option of keeping the hard key or turning it in and having the software call home once a month to confirm it's licensed.

If the guy has/had 3 usb keys and can't turn them in how can Scanvec deactivate them?
Who's to say he didn't sell them to his buddy...

Stealth Ryder

Good Arguments both ways, and I see all your points. It just sucks, In terms of software when you buy a program you are essentially purchasing the license. The disk, DVD/CD is worthless without the license. There must be some built-in security for scenarios like this. Without some built-in protection we are all at the mercy of the bad guys. Thanks for the input... The Reward thing that Pat suggested seems like the best choice at this point but I still think the companies we pay for this software should try a little harder to protect their loyal customers. Here is the chance SAi, step up and do the HONORABLE thing...

Stealth Ryder

When upgrading to version 8.5+ Scanvec gives you the option of keeping the hard key or turning it in and having the software call home once a month to confirm it's licensed.

If the guy has/had 3 usb keys and can't turn them in how can Scanvec deactivate them?
Who's to say he didn't sell them to his buddy...

I agree Mike but that is/was not the case. The Keys DO check in with the server if inserted into a computer that they have not been previously installed on... Anyways, just a bad situation that seems will not have a good ending... Thanks everyone for the input....

Ryder :beer

Stealth Ryder

Oh I forgot, 8.5v2 (Soft Key) and above checks in every time you open the program, that is why most folks started going to Hard Keys in my humble opinion... Some do not connect all Production Computers to the internet... Cheers Everyone, you are all appreciated...

iSign

I don't know... discussions of dongles go back as far as I've been on forums & the dongle is where your money is. Protect the dongle to protect your investment.
In my out of date experience, the dongle wasn't connecting to the net, the software was connecting to the dongle, so we couldn't move the dongle around the shop to start up & run multiple workstations. As for connecting to the net, that is what the newer dongle-free activation options are about... but when you have a dongle for a $4000 program... I've known for years that this is like a $4000 signed check sitting there in plain view. I guess other people don't all know that... but anyone can burn a copy of Flexi... the value is in the dongle, because whoever ends up with it can run the program, or sell the program.

Some people install a usb port inside the tower to protect the dongle, which won't stop someone from taking the tower, but it can prevent accidental damage of the dongle, or a quick slight of hand theft right under your nose, by a disgruntled customer or ex employee who wouldn't be able to take the whole tower.