• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sales Guys.... Hate them? or Love them?

The Sales Guy

So I was just wondering........What is it that sales guys do that **** off sign makers...? I mean I walk into people shops and I talk and help with promblems and everybody seems to like me and then I have some people that cant stand me coming in their shop.....anyways I was just wondering what works and does not work for yall.?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, a nice introduction would be good for starters.................

Welcome from PA......................................................

Flame

If I want something, I will find you. Not the other way around.

Every minute you're in my shop, you're wasting 1 of 480 minutes I have in a work day that I could've spent working on a customers project and making $$.

Absolutely despise salespeople. If you want to stop by and get my business, just be polite, make an introduction, drop off a catalog and a card and say to call if I ever need anything, and then go on your way. Fellers rep did that, I respected him for it and I opened an account a month later.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I hate sales people who come in 75% of the time ... you rarely have crap I want, you always tell me your stuff doesn't suck and will last forever, always bother me and ... seriously ... you want me to buy crap from you but it takes 3 weeks to respond to an e-mail ... bite it hard.

The ones I like, come in, see if I need anything, make sure I know of new products, respond to e-mails and don't leave me pointless crap to throw away. 2 minutes tops. One supplier brought me nice shop stools last year ... love that guy ... haven't seen him in 6 months but when he comes in he always brings goodies I can actually use.

petepaz

i don't mind a sales person who stops in every 2-3 of months to see how things are and show me anything new i might be able to use. don't like the guys who call or show up every week, that's too much. also not a big fan if they keep bothering you and you haven't bought from them in over 2 years ( i am good, we are done here, knock on the next door)

Bly

If you are trying to break the ice and you turn up expecting to be met like a long lost brother you will be sorely disappointed.

If you sold me something and your company didn't deliver when promised, then come back a couple of months later asking "are you still angry with us?", expect to be thrown out with some very fruity language.

Better yet don't call me, I'll call you.

threeputt

Wow! We must be doing something totally wrong.

I'm happy that my reps visit me. Most are respectful of my time, realizing that for the most part their visit is unscheduled in my day.

With respect to new products, heck yes I'm interested. Especially samples of such.

The way some of these other guys are talking, I wonder what kind of relationship they have with their vendors? Surely they realize that all business is based on mutual trust and respect? Mutual...

If we're short with our vendors, don't have time for them, etc. what kind of service will you get? Sword cuts both ways, guys. When you need a favor, whatever it might be, you'll want a good relationship with your vendor. What goes around comes around.

Just my take on things. Others run their shops the way they see fit. Whatever.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Wow! We must be doing something totally wrong.

I'm happy that my reps visit me. Most are respectful of my time, realizing that for the most part their visit is unscheduled in my day.

With respect to new products, heck yes I'm interested. Especially samples of such.

The way some of these other guys are talking, I wonder what kind of relationship they have with their vendors? Surely they realize that all business is based on mutual trust and respect? Mutual...

If we're short with our vendors, don't have time for them, etc. what kind of service will you get? Sword cuts both ways, guys. When you need a favor, whatever it might be, you'll want a good relationship with your vendor. What goes around comes around.

Just my take on things. Others run their shops the way they see fit. Whatever.

+1

I'm a little harsh on new ones, but I try to give them all a moment. There have been more than one sales guy that brought us on to something new and better.

I'm ALWAYS looking for better ways to get the job done. A good salesperson is looking for the same thing. Name a salesperson who actually WANTS to sell you a lesser product for a higher price. They may not always have the best option, but if they did, they would rather sell that.

cartoad

Wow, I'm with threeputt and FireSprint. We are a long ways from any of the distributors so we rarely see many reps. I have a couple that call on the phone, but are always helpfull and understand if I can't take their call. We get a weekly delivery from one vendor and they have gone out of their way to help us.

As for salesmen who cold call me at the store, if I can give a few seconds I do and listen to their pitch, usually don't want it, but I look at it this way.
1. They are potential customers, or may tell someone about us, so I want them to leave at the least neutral and better yet positive about us. and
2. I also on rare occassion will go out and cold call, so I know what it is like!

No if they are rude, or telephone boiler room operatators asking if the owner is in, then I may tell them that the owners are gone on vacation, or I have not been paid in 3 weeks and getting ready to walk, or if I feel really mean I tell em "crap, gota go the cops just showed up"

BobM

I'm not buying from you because you're my new best friend. I'm buying from you because the price, service, dependability and avaliability are better that other vendors. I'm happy to see you come in, but on most days, just as happy to see move go. Got a new product or very special price, come visit, if not send a card. In forty years I can count on one hand the names of salesmen I look forward to sharing a few minutes or lunch with. It's just business.

Marlene

I have a sales person who calls every month to ask if I need anything. it bugs me to no end as I tell her each month that if I need something I will call. I placed an order a while back only to fond out that the prices had gone up the day before and had I knwo that, not only would I have placed the order the day before but would have re-stocked while I had the chance. I called her a$$ and told her what I thought of that and asked why on one of her annoying, intrusive monthly phone calls didn't she tell me about the price increase. if a sales person is going to intrude on our time in person or by phone, at least have info that I just mioght find interesting. I don't need you to call me to see if I need some vinyl or whatever, I just might have a clue if I did since I am the one using it so stop calling. if you come to the shop, bring something I might not know about to show me or bring in a price list that I might find interesting. just dropping in to say "hi" with nothing of any interest at all to me just chews up time I could be spending working instend of talking about skiing in Vermont. if I want to chit-chat, I have friends to do that with and I also have a great online community to go to chat.

well, I guess the short answer is I don't like sales people...:corndog:

cdiesel

Make an appointment. I for one am busy as hell all day long, and if you're going to expect a chance in selling me something, don't show up unannounced.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Salespeople, like them or not?

It depends on who they are and what they're selling.

We have reps from a couple different sign supply companies that visit us and go over any issues with certain products or service on our account. Same goes for the couple brands of electronic variable message centers we use. For the most part we get along with those people just fine. It's a long term supply relationship.

We'll get yearly visits from a couple people selling ad space in the phone books we use. Nothing too bad with that as long as they don't screw around with the ads we put together. I had one experience where some idiot decided to change a bunch of the typefaces in my ad design, despite the fact everything in the Illustrator file was converted to outlines. The schmuck just had to play with it anyway. Man I was angry. We got a full refund on that ad. That company went out of business a couple years later.

Other sales people don't fare so well. Despite the lettering on our door saying "No Soliciting" some sales people walk in without any prior appointment and try selling us something anyway.

I really can't stand telemarketers. My disgust is directed more at the telemarketing businesses and management than the people stuck with the really bad job of doing the calling. But if the caller wants to get pushy I'll start getting angry. Often, the very instant I sense the caller is a telemarketer I'll immediately hang up. And that's actually doing the telemarketer a favor; it quickly gets him onto the next call. They have to make so and such many sales per hour. If I want to be a real jerk about it, I'll string that telemarketer along for several minutes making him think I'm going to buy and then hang up. Boom. He lost money.

Phone companies, AT&T in particular, are among the worst when it comes to telemarketing nonsense. They call constantly wanting to switch your phone service. And the devious sales guys may not even be with AT&T. They may just be someone who wants to tag your phone bill with all sorts of nonsensical charges. It's criminal that kind of stuff is still kinda sorta legal. The direct marketing industry knows who to pay off in the government to keep that stuff going. They're also involved in paying scumbags in former Soviet states to come up with lots of computer malware to push ads, steal personal data, etc.

I've been told in sales seminars over and over again that you have to be a "resource" for your customers. Your expertise (if you have it), your experience (same thing) and your accessibility is key. Some of the guys who don't want to see you, leave your card and a smile and move on. It's big for a new shop owner to have a "go to" guy or girl who can answer their questions. You can't force stuff down their throats. When you develop the relationship, the business will come. You can't be all things to all people.
There's a well known supplier in this industry that started treating their customers and sales persons like crap. They stopped coming to shows. They cut back and the dissention in their company was legendary in the industry. Many of their reps stopped believing in the company and eventually were wooed elsewhere along with my business that followed the person that always called me back, always was there when I needed a question answered, and never told me no when the answer should have been yes....you know who you are.
Their new rep is useless, almost never calls me back, when he does, he calls can't help me on special orders etc etc....If you wanna be a salesman (or sales woman) call your customers back, work for their business etc. and take a hint when the customer does'nt want or need you.....