• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sales...One Man Shop... How???

mxbykr99

Hello all! I'm fairly new to the sign/graphics business, but I got hired a while back to make decals for a manufacturing company that makes their own decals for their trailers. I've got some questions on getting my products out there in the public.

Ever since I got hired here, my boss and supervisor have been pushing me to cold call, make appointments, and close deals with outside customers. We're located in a fairly small town with few other sign and graphics shops around, but the intimidation level is definitely there. I'm almost 21, and I've never been the salesman type as I graduated with a graphic design degree about 10 months ago. I've got all sorts of questions, nerves, and doubts about the whole thing. As I stated before, I work in a manufacturing plant with some very un-motivated and un-creative individuals. The plant and my bosses wishes are always going to come first when it comes to priorities. Is it possible to do it all by myself and still keep my head above water, or should I cut my losses and find an employer that actually puts their customers first?

Input and brutal honesty is appreciated.

C

ColoPrinthead

Were you hired as designer or as a sales person? Your boss seems like a weak individual.

Christian @ 2CT Media

About 5 years ago I parted ways with my previous employer who was one of the largest residential AC companies in the USA. They decided to bring graphics in house and I spearheaded the operation. Once they saw success they decided to build a division to market to other companies, it was a total nightmare because they company trucks and needs always had to come first and they had ridiculous expectations for one man. Need-less to say we parted ways, I built my company and with the right set of help exceeded their goals in the first 6 months.

I'm not a sales person by far but I have found that once you get past the nerves and realize that the worst they can do is say no, it gets easier. I realized I'm like a rabid dog and am very tenacious when I set out to achieve a sale, but that comes with the fact that I'm the one who benefits not my "bosses".

mxbykr99

Were you hired as designer or as a sales person? Your boss seems like a weak individual.

I was hired as designer, print shop production manager, and sales (once demand slowed down for our little one-off projects). Lots of hats to wear for someone that just graduated college. Oh, and did I mention I can only put in 40 hours a week?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I was hired as designer, print shop production manager, and sales (once demand slowed down for our little one-off projects). Lots of hats to wear for someone that just graduated college. Oh, and did I mention I can only put in 40 hours a week?

Well, seeing what you wrote here, you signed on for the whole kit and caboodle, so you'd better better find ways to fit it into your 40 hours. Rememebr, unless you're amazing at your job..... be thankful you have one in this economy, and so soon after graduating. My son took nearly 2 years from graduation, til he found something even close to his career choice and he's still not happy.

Pounding the pavements on your own time or company time would be one possibility, but I'd probably contact more businesses just like your company and reach out to them with some wholesale pricing. Sure, you might be putting out some local sign shops, but who cares ?? Ya have a job to protect. :rock-n-roll:

Craig Sjoquist

You stated hired as a Designer, Print Shop Production Manager, Sales & you also stated one man shop.

So guess your stuck trying to develop sales in area your not familiar with.

The most important part of sales or any company is BRAND, since your the designer design the companies brand, Plus your the production manager, so providing your brands service is most important.

As for sales with a good company brand, producing the best of service, selling the present customers will give that experience to approach possible new customers.

Now I would read a book like---The art of closing a deal by James W. Pickens & other such books so when your not doing your other jobs you can be securing your job by selling one customer at a time.

Remember if you tried for one customer each day, sooner or later growth will happen with a good brand & ya stick to it.

JgS

Don't be afraid of sales. Leaning how to be a good sales person is something that will help you in a lot of aspects of your life. Personal and professional.

TammieH

Did you know going in what the sales part of the position required?

If that is what is expected of you,

1) I would reserve some time during your day to make a few calls or send out emails or send out brochures, its easy to Google companies in your area to get contact info

2) If you are slow, drive around town and look for signs in disrepair, leave a brochure and get a business card to show that you are doing something.

Do you or can you quote jobs as well?

Most people understandably want a ballpark price up front...if you cannot do that then its a waste of time.

Cold calls suck! Really...but good luck

DigiPrinter

Understand that when wearing many hats nothing is done 100%....you can't sell 100% of the time if you have to project manage your jobs....you can't manage 100% if you have to design your projects, etc. With that being said, expectations should be defined with you and your boss so there isn't resentment on either side.

In regards to sales, trust is the number one thing you need to gain with the people you are calling on and meeting. To do that is to be yourself and not try to be some fancy smooth talker. A sale isn't about you, it's about your prospect.....you are there to help them to a solution with their needs. Listen to what they are saying, try not to interject too much of your own opinions (in other words, don't try to recreate their vision with yours that is no where near what they wanted), and communicate with them the whole way through. I used to hate cold calls but as someone said, the worst anyone can say is no and you move onto the next.

Enjoy what you do, do what you enjoy.

mxbykr99

Understand that when wearing many hats nothing is done 100%....you can't sell 100% of the time if you have to project manage your jobs....you can't manage 100% if you have to design your projects, etc. With that being said, expectations should be defined with you and your boss so there isn't resentment on either side.

That's what I'm worried about. Getting so busy that the quality of work goes down for the sake of making a buck. I understand you gotta do what you gotta do, but from a designers perspective, I don't want to sell myself or a customer short.

DigiPrinter

That's what I'm worried about. Getting so busy that the quality of work goes down for the sake of making a buck. I understand you gotta do what you gotta do, but from a designers perspective, I don't want to sell myself or a customer short.

I agree and that's why it's probably important to know where the ownership stands and what/if any support WILL be given.

Billct2

Actually this could be a golden opportunity for paid training. They hired you and they don't have a clue, so just make sure you set the expectations low.
Then as you pick up skill/speed you can put more effort into bringing in additional business. What kind of trailers do they make? Could they offer their
customers customized graphics on the trailers? It's a real common option now. That way they have an incentive to keep the work flow realistic so they don't
disappoint their current customers. After a while if it's not working you'll have more skills to move on to another job with.