• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Samples / Proofs

gplough

Would anyone do samples / proofs of a specific job in order to try to get business? Or would you tell them that you would be happy to do / encourage doing a proof once the order was placed?

It's a decal job...

Depends on if the end job would be worth the trouble. We would most likely tell them yes. I try to do all our small runs on Fridays and I could squeeze something small in usually. So I would do it on something like that. If it's a material we don't normally use or something special. We would most likely tell them we need a commitment before we can get you a sample. If you can put the money down for the order or to pay for the roll I will do samples before we run all of them.

Zx360

Depends on the job but we typically take a minimum deposit to cover an hour worth of proofs non refundable.
We talk to the customer, see what they want and show them samples of past work and assure them we will do what we can to make them happy. We don't work for free, so we won't designs and hope they end up having us do the work.

rossmosh

If you're not an established shop, you will have to do spec work at times. This will hopefully make the customer more comfortable working with you. If you're an established shop, your portfolio should keep you from doing spec work for the most part. Every now and then, even very established shops will do spec work but it's normally a very easy job or will lead to a big order.

gplough

Thanks

Thanks all, appreciate the input. Not trying to be lazy, and it may lead to a good order. I just don't have tons of faith in the customer.

I'll suck it up and do them.

Thanks again!
Greg

oksigns

Thanks all, appreciate the input. Not trying to be lazy, and it may lead to a good order. I just don't have tons of faith in the customer.

I'll suck it up and do them.

Thanks again!
Greg

From a graphic design perspective, I would find examples in my portfolio to pitch to a perspective client that fits the scope of work. Having a strong body work to call upon can save you the hassle of doing spec work, but sometimes it's advantageous to take that initiative and present something if you know you have a very good chance of obtaining work.

2B

From a graphic design perspective, I would find examples in my portfolio to pitch to a perspective client that fits the scope of work. Having a strong body work to call upon can save you the hassle of doing spec work, but sometimes it's advantageous to take that initiative and present something if you know you have a very good chance of obtaining work.

This, always have examples of your work and references of your capabilities. People like to see finished products and it also confirms that you real work references instead of just digital concepts.

If they show interest and want to proceed then you can spec the work or get a deposit to move forward

gplough

Yep!

Yep, that was a lesson learned in this quote... I had some stuff on a shelf that I sent them. Their original concern was that the previous vendor's stuff wasn't durable/thick enough. I sent them some stuff that was laminated, one matte/one gloss to show give an example thickness/mil. Which they thought was great but then they started questioning the print quality which I didn't even really consider when I sent it down to them. Of course they needed it yesterday... I've learned that I'll just keep a bunch of good quality (all around) examples on hand from now on.

Kottwitz-Graphics

For print graphics, no.

I have done some dimensional samples for customers, using gold leaf, smalts, and custom painting. But they don't leave my possession. Worst thing is I have a couple of really nice samples for my wall.