• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

San Francisco Area Backup

sballinger

Ok, here's the deal. We have a client that we will be working with installing graphics at the Hilton in Union Square in San Francisco between Friday September 13 thru Sunday September 15th. Our shop will be empty, all hands on deck. Plus we are going to be miles away from Chicago. So if something goes wrong or breaks, we need a shop locally that could help us out in a pinch. Not really worried about cost, since it's rush weekend work, it's expected. I know it's the weekend and it's a lot to ask of a shop to stay on standby if they don't work on the weekends.

If anybody is local in that area and would be willing to help if something needs replacing, please let me know. To get an idea of the type of graphics we have for this job...look below

- Direct to board 1/4" Milk White Acrylic panels with Pantone 299C full coverage with 30" wide logos reversed out (40 panels)
- Direct to board 1/8" Milk White Acrylic panels with misc pattern colors (Over 24 at the moment)
- Latex printed Fisher Textile GF4417 Soft Knit. Sizes: 8 x 8', 8 x 16', 8 x 36', 10 x 12' (42 total panels)
- Latex printed Fisher Textile GF4417 Soft Knit Double Sided Pole Pocket Banner, 10 x 38' ( Only 1 of those)
- Latex printed Fisher Textile GF4417 Soft Knit Column Wraps w/ Elastic and Velcro, 8 x 13' (7 total)
- Phototex, 1 x 24' prints (4 total)
- Floor Decals on Oracal removable vinyl, 18 x 18" (50 Total)
- Window Perf Vinyl, 42 x 54" (8 total)

PM me if you truly would be able to help in a pinch, It's greatly appreciated!

vid

I can't help with any of that.

But FWIW, if you are leaving someone in Chicago, I've pulled some miracles shipping air freight. It's been a while, but you may want to check into that as an option. You've got three airports within close proximity; SFO, OAK, and SJC that I would imagine have direct flights from one of the Chicago airports. ...and what is that... a 4 hour flight?

I was actually surprised by the cost thinking that it would be an arm and two legs to ship that way --- it was only part of an arm and an ankle --- but I was shipping quite a bit of weight.

At the time, I was in the miracle business, Southwest was my favorite with the NFG - Next Flight Guaranteed.​

oh yeah, dress in layers. The souvenir t-shirt vendors make serious bank selling sweatshirts to unsuspecting midwestern tourists this time of year. :)

sballinger

I wish we had someone staying back, we're a small shop and need the supervision for the laborers that will be working. This project is probably the biggest we have ever done when it comes to quantity. Big client, big venue, big budget...anything could happen and we wanted to be prepared.

HulkSmash

I wish we had someone staying back, we're a small shop and need the supervision for the laborers that will be working. This project is probably the biggest we have ever done when it comes to quantity. Big client, big venue, big budget...anything could happen and we wanted to be prepared.

Have you thought about outsourcing the install. I can suggest a very reliable installer in the area. It could prob save you thousands, and you can keep your shop running.

you can at least use him to lay all the vinyl and wallpaper. That way you can keep 1 guy back. Great installer.

Chris Burgess
Prowraps

sballinger

We have a unique situation when it comes to a sign shop. We are actually owned by a exhibit company...which is the company the whole project is being done by. We support all graphic related items for them as well as business to business clients...no direct retail/store front type clients. It's a two man graphics shop and since we made all of the items, the owner is having us supervise the laborers for install. The client is paying standard labor rates for the area, you can't use non-union labor in any hotel or convention center in San Fran without someone finding out. Tradeshow/Event related graphic installs are always closely watched. Gotta follow the rules!

HulkSmash

We have a unique situation when it comes to a sign shop. We are actually owned by a exhibit company...which is the company the whole project is being done by. We support all graphic related items for them as well as business to business clients...no direct retail/store front type clients. It's a two man graphics shop and since we made all of the items, the owner is having us supervise the laborers for install. The client is paying standard labor rates for the area, you can't use non-union labor in any hotel or convention center in San Fran without someone finding out. Tradeshow/Event related graphic installs are always closely watched. Gotta follow the rules!

So you're going to watch union carpenters install your graphics and they're going to get paid 250 an hr, cause they can and they're a union.

Unions are aids.

sballinger

Thanks for the advice on the install but that's not what I started the thread for. I wanted to know if any sign shop in the San Francisco area would be up for making money. Emergency type work on the weekend. If your available for it that would be great, PM me.