• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sand blasted aluminum

BROWNDOG

could any one tell me how thick aluminum has to be to sandblast with out distorting,
I tried to blast .080 and it rolled up like a pringle chip. my customer really likes the blasted look but i cant afford to screw up any more material, the oval is 44"x77" if that makes any difference, the smaller 18x24 stayed fairly flat

Attachments

• IMAG0069.jpg
    IMAG0069.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 134

letterman7

While I personally don't see the point, you're standing too long in one area and heating it up. .080 is pretty thin to be doing this with; if you can't mount it to something before you blast, then you'll need to take very light passes over the entire piece, let it sit a couple of seconds, do another pass etc. That way you won't heat the sheet up too much. Or, invest in a soda blaster or a "wet" sandblaster that mixes water in with the media. Or, better yet, etch it with acid.

surf city

.080 is really too thin to blast. Depending on what kind of effect your looking for I would go with at least 3/16" but probably 1/4". If your really married to the .080 then I would get an air eraser and go slow with a small media.

JimmyG

I gotta kick and a tickle out of the picture, and thanks for that...
there's kinda a lack of info here as to what was being blasted away...
Letterman7 says it all on blasting technique....If sandblasting an image, all efforts are screwed by heat on thin materials....

:)~

skyhigh

wow.... I knew aluminum would distort, but not quite like that.

Bright side.....should you get a call from "Lays" for a new sign, you'll be all set.

BROWNDOG

thanks for the replies, i'm new to sand blasting, but they are using sand not sure what kind, hell with this crew it could've been snagged right from the beach. the guy is not using a repirator we had to beg him to at least use the face shield, ,
i had the guy down at the dock to the blasting as they were doing some boats this week, if i go up to 1/4" are there any recommendations for air pressure that i should try.