• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sand Paper Grit???

ScottyAdams

Hey guys/gals:U Rock:,

Newbie here with some needed help. We orderd some cut acrylic pieces and the edges are a bit rough. Is there a specific type of sand paper or grit of sand paper that I can use to sand the edges up a bit or any other suggestions on how to smooth those out so they are not so sharp/ jagged? Thanks!

Scotty

TammieH

Same as jhilldesigns...But I use a utility knife to scrape the edges of acrylic, it is fine for a few pieces...In the future ask for the edges finished/polished. I hold the the utility knife up close to the blade and use my finger as a guide on the back on the plastic.

If you have a table router you can also set it up as a jointer to kiss the edges if you have more than a couple pieces.

rjssigns

Propane torch if the scratches aren't bad. Otherwise a light sanding with 320 then use the torch.
Then you get to tell your client you flame polished the edges and get 5 dollars more.

SARTampaBay

We run a deburring tool over most cut substrates to remove those sharp edges.

If finishing a piece for presentation, we'll wet sand and flame polish, as others have mentioned, but it sounds like you're just looking for a quick clean up on the edges.

ICeMAnAbk

propane torch like rjssigns mentioned. Have to be quick because if you leave it too long it'll obviously burn. If the edges are a bit chewed up it's more then likely because there was a combination blade used to cut it or a duller blade, or a gummed up blade, OR! a thick blade.

I have a DeWALT 18v Cordless Circular Saw. the blade is very thin, I'll put a blade for cross cut in there, set it for 1 or 2mm below the surface, then cut slowly. Stop so often to check the blade for melted plastic. I've also used a blade made for grinding in the past. Figure, when you take a fast moving object and press it against plastic it's going to start melting from the heat. Prevents chips on the edge, but takes longer, and produces these melted pieces of plastic.

Personally, I prefered the melting way of cutting since it produced an edge I didn't have to mess with later. Special shapes such as rounded corners, or anything like that, I'd use a guided dremel with a sanding wheel on it, or a belt sander with 40 grit then razor away the melted plastic before it cooled.

TwoNine

If you're going to flame polish the edges, make sure not to wash it down afterwards with SLX alcohol, it will likely crack your piece along the edges. (Little tiny cracks, but very unappealing)....

I'd agree with most of the others though - that if the edges aren't too bad, just sand it out...

-Chad

OldPaint

1000 GRIT TO START WITH???? you will be sanding a long long time.
sandpaper comes in many GRIT levels. 16 is the most aggressive. look like your drive way stuck on paper. now they got 4-5000 grit for the finest grit. i think a regular newsprint is similar to 3000 grit sandpaper!!!! you need to use a couple different grits before you go to 1000. 320-400 would be a starting point. this will remove material. 1000 just polishes.