• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sandblast Mask on a Summa D60?

Kottwitz-Graphics

Hey guys. I have a couple of questions for those that cut sandblast mask...

I need to cut some blast material, and I tried to cut it, but it's not working out too good. If I turn the pressure up to where it will cut through the mask, it distorts the copy. I'm using a Summa D-60, with a 65 degree blade, and putting it into the metal blade holder that I got from Summa (they said it was for use with the 65 degree blades only). I turned the speed down to 2 ips, and the force is up to 250. The blade is brand new, so I doubt that it could be that...

What is the secret to cutting this stuff? Any ideas and suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

signmeup

Could depend on your material. I just did some Hartco 425 with the pressure set at 180 grams (60 degree blade). It doesn't cut all the way through but it "tears" along the cut line very cleanly.

I was having trouble with the cut skewing and once I cleaned the rubber rollers on my plotter it worked fine. Alcohol and a Qtip did the trick.

steve.leleaux

What kind of sand blast material do you use? I use 3M calendared vinyl on Summa S75 T series with 35 degree blade. We usually only have issues with cut depth during the winter months. I think it changes the attributes of the adhesive, its manageable but if you're working with small lettering like we do it gets aggravating.

Kottwitz-Graphics

What kind of sand blast material do you use? I use 3M calendared vinyl on Summa S75 T series with 35 degree blade. We usually only have issues with cut depth during the winter months. I think it changes the attributes of the adhesive, its manageable but if you're working with small lettering like we do it gets aggravating.

I've trying to use the Hartco HGS930S Equalizer Rubber Sandmask. 30 mil thick, high grip adhesive.

Im going to try to double up the cut, and see what that does for me.

Thanks,

Mainframe

Are you making sure the blade sticks out far in the holder? Remember the material is thicker so stick the blade out farther. Slow the cutting speed down, warm the blast mask a little with a heat gun, & be prepared to waste some material until you get it figured out.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Well, trying to cut the graphic more than once was a complete failure. It didn't track in the same spot, so that is out.

As far as the blade sticking out, I know its out far enough, its just the material. I called a buddy, and he said that he has done it in the past, so I'm going to take it to him to cut the mask.

I have been so happy with my Summa, at least up to this point. I guess this is the only thing that it just can't do.

Oh, well.

signmeup

Well.... I don't know what you're blasting but my cheap Chinese plotter cuts Hartco 425 just fine. The masks I just cut are 36" x 22" ovals with text and graphics inside them. I haven't done anything much bigger than that so I don't know how my plotter would work for larger masks.
If you're going to blast HDU or wood I think the Hartco mask will hold up to that. Surely a quality machine like a Summa can cut it. I had a terrible time trying to cut Anchor rubber mask. That was a total wash. Good luck with it.

ducksoupsigns

sand blast skew

i just used our mimaki plotter to cut resist material and the issue i had was that the even though i had the resist lined up straight when i started the material skewed while it was cutting. don't know if the physical weight of the material and the fact that i was cutting 90" of it was the problem or the fact that the back of the material against the plotter was so slippery. maybe i need to put transfer tape on the backing material so it's not so slick... any body have any other fixes for material skewing? would it have been smarter to cut the stencil in two pieces?

signmeup

i just used our mimaki plotter to cut resist material and the issue i had was that the even though i had the resist lined up straight when i started the material skewed while it was cutting. don't know if the physical weight of the material and the fact that i was cutting 90" of it was the problem or the fact that the back of the material against the plotter was so slippery. maybe i need to put transfer tape on the backing material so it's not so slick... any body have any other fixes for material skewing? would it have been smarter to cut the stencil in two pieces?
See post #3. I had the same trouble you described until I cleaned the rubber rollers.