• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sandblast resist

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have a HS750 plus and a HS15 plus Gerber sprocket fed plotters, basically just for this anymore. Running pounces, sandblast mask and long long vinyl runs is about all we do with these. They are reliable and perfect cuts 100% of the time Only hiccup is human error. :thumb:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
+1 for Gerber. Sandblasting is 100% of our business and Gerbers are real workhorses. They're pricey, but for sandblasting they're worth every penny.

JB

Signmaker1234

Graphtec

Anyone using a graphtec cutter for this? Was checking them out, says it can cut 11mil (model FC 8600)? Thoughts on this machine?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Can Adobe illustrator be used with these cutters? Really don't feel like using/learning new software?

Yes, we haven't used Gerber software in many years. We can cut from ANAgraph, Flexi, Adobe and some other funky piece of software, no one uses around the shop anymore. Originally, we just used the same batch commands Gerber did and adjusted it to fit the other software. Now, Jeremy has it set up cutting from everything in his wizardry way of doing things. He knows how to write in DOS. Not sure though, if that's what he did.

OR

You can use a plugin like already mentioned.

James Burke

Any program that outputs HPGL (Hewlett Packard Graphic Language) should work.

Whatever cutter you choose, make sure it has tangential cutting capabilities. Important note: the Gerber GSx Plus does NOT have a tangential cutting head. Other than the name plate below the control buttons, it looks identical to a GS Plus.

JB

Jillbeans

Try to find a used Gerber with its software (Graphix Advantage or Omega) I do not think a Graphtec is strong enough.
Gerber can use ai files.
Love.....Jill

James Burke

Keep an eye on this Gerber GS15 Plus (listed 10/28/14). Good deals are out there. The GS15 Plus I scored last year on eBay for $1,500 looked as though it were just pulled out of the box. This current listing looks just as pristine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gerber-GS15..._DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ceb1f1720#viTabs_0

Try to find a used Gerber with its software (Graphix Advantage or Omega) I do not think a Graphtec is strong enough.
Gerber can use ai files.
Love.....Jill

As mentioned on previous threads, Gerber is offering some tremendous upgrade deals if you can get your hands on an old Graphix Advantage dongle. You can save nearly 2/3 the cost of new Omega 5 software.

I do a lot of importing and exporting of line art vector files between Omega (.plt), Adobe (.ai), AutoCAD (.dxf) and SignLab (.cdl) and they all play together extremely well.

From an economic standpoint, SignLab has (or used to have) a program that serves as "bridge" between the plotter and AI for right around $500. It's essentially a plugin and it creates a plot button right on your AI toolbar. I'm guessing that will be your best option. I'm 100% certain that Illy can not drive a Gerber plotter all by itself.

JB

Signmaker1234

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for all the info! It definitely is seeming like a good idea to get into the sandblasted signs, although I don't think I wanna do the actual blasting (not sure) ??? I only do cut vinyl now and looking to expand! I have a customer who wants a sign, although he has no idea what type? I'm exploring the options for him now! If he goes with a sandblasted sign, anyone interested in sub contracting the sandblast mask for me? He originally wanted front lit, back lit channel letters. Another sign company told him that it was not possible due to the limited space and size the letters would be? I'll post a few pics. I'm trying to give him options, cut vinyl on Mdo with standoffs is one, box/can sign another option, sandblasted is another.

Signmaker1234

Pics

A pic of the space. It's 18"x72"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 161