• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sandblasted box truck

maynemag

I am about to do a 20ft. box truck and it just so happens on the first one I get the whole box has been sandblasted and there is a powdery residue left on the surface. It will be a full wrap but I am kind of leary about it adhering properly to the surface. Has anybody had this experience? I thought that primer may help but there is no way in H**l I can primer a 20ft box that would be crazy. The reason it was sandblasted was because there was old cracked vinyl on the truck before they bought it. What do you guys and gals think?

Pat Whatley

I have a customer who had her trailer sandblasted. NOTHING would stick to it. She ended up having to get it painted before I could wrap it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You could try tacking the truck down several times.

After that, prime it with a good primer. You could actually use rollers for that.

After the prime is good and dry, roller on a good oil based top coat and if it doesn't gloss up after the first coat, give it a second with a light sanding and tacking in between those two coats.

Anything less could come back to really bite [hard] if you don't have it prepped professionally and properly.

AUTO-FX

sand blasted or SODA blasted? Sounds like soda blasted. Well, either way, i would wash it down with a hose, wipe it dry, then wipe it down with a solvent cleaner. You could get a gallon of "prekleeno" or "prepsol" from an auto paint supply. it's aluminum right? oughtta stick like a son of a gun.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Auto.....

Those are solvent cleaners, not prep agents.

mayn.....

Tack cloth is material used most often in woodworking, but can be used in other applications as well. It is simply a piece of sticky, or tacky, cloth that is used to wipe down the surface of a piece of wood before applying paint, stain, or sealer. Tack cloth works much better than a plain rag, but is a tool many do-it-yourself homeowners might overlook in the paint store.

You can get them at most hardware or paint stores and are usually overlooked, but a very important step when finishing anything.

AUTO-FX

true true true - if it's just "dusty" or something than yeah, that's all you need to do. and keep folding it and turning it, you'll be surprised how much crap they can pick up and hold.

OldPaint

also TACK-CLOTHS are sold in auto paint stores.....................
i have a problem with them bringing a BARE vehicle to you so you can cover it. this is really a cheapo customer, if thats how they do things. YOU are not a BODY/FENDER SHOP. so i would tell them to get some kinda surface on the truck............YOU CAN STICK VINYL TO..................WITHOUT IT COMING OFF!!!!

maynemag

I thought that is what you guys meant by tacking. I have used those before just wanted to make sure. I 'll give that a shot. Thanks!