Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sandblasted Extira?

Discussion in 'Dimensional Signs' started by 3Dsigns, Mar 18, 2019.

1. 3Dsigns

3Dsigns Member

Oct 22, 2010
    NW Florida
    I have a customer who wants me to sandblast some kind of pattern/mold whatever, that he can press into beach sand to imprint words. I tried to talk him into going with CNC routed but he thinks he wants sandblasted and he wants it done in Extira. Has anyone ever blasted this stuff before? Thanks

Tags:
  2. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    I would want to do this on the cnc as well.Never blasted extira but I would imagine it to be a PIA. Especially trying to get a decent depth.Nothing irritates me more than a customer that wants to dictate how something should be done.Give them 2 prices one for doing it in foam and double for doing the nasty sandblasting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    Unless they've greatly improved the water resistance, I've not had good results on its weatherability.

4. tbullo

tbullo Superunknown

Apr 5, 2012
    VA
    I had some left over pieces and I tried blasting it since I saw on their website it could be done. It blasted ok. I blasted some with the grain frame and it looked good as well. These were just samples I did for myself. I have never used Extira for a sign job since I've seen a few just peel apart after a while outside.

5. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I haven't used Extira in a while, and when I did we routed it. We followed finishing instructions exactly, and then some. It didn't hold up well. we had to refinish it in less than a year.
    If the place hadn't folded I would've had to replace it.

6. 3Dsigns

3Dsigns Member

Oct 22, 2010
    NW Florida
    Was it harder to blast than, say cedar or redwood and get any depth to it?

7. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    The trick to extira, is finishing both sides of the panel. if you only route/sandblast one-side, the other factory-finished side will cause the panel to potato-chip over time.

I'm sure your client wants to use Extira since it holds up well against moisture without special finishing, but I'm curious why he wants sandblasted vs. cnc routed, as Extira has no woodgrain pattern to expose. Regardless, with the right combination of Straight/V-engrave/Roundover bits you should be able to CNC pretty much any effect he's lookin' for.

attached pics of my recent Extira endeaver. I wasn't a fan of previous jobs where we were of having to stop the "woodgrain" pattern in a perimeter around the lettering, to account for the V-bit profile not cutting into them, so I mounted square-cut letters on top of the field of woodgrain instead.
    Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 2.08.35 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 2.08.04 PM.png

8. tbullo

tbullo Superunknown

Apr 5, 2012
    VA
    It was harder than cedar. Looking to see if I still have that sample lying around.

9. Sandman

Sandman Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Crystal Falls, MI
    I'm wondering if it was truly Extira that failed. I've never used it but I saw a demo where they took pieces of it and left it submerged in a bucket of water for 3 days. They measured it before and after and there was zero swelling. That said, I have no long term experience as I have avoided it because of the extreme weight and painting it can be a challenge and I would think it would have to be painted to last. He would be better off with a lower density Precision board (maybe 10#) or pvc.

10. Mal

Mal Member

May 11, 2008
    Eastern Ontario
    We do all of our hand-carved, gilt work in extira. No problems for years