• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sandblasted sign on a boat?

shoresigns

I have a customer who wants us to do a sandblasted sign for her to mount on the side of a boat. Are there any particular types of wood and finishing that you guys would recommend, besides the standard finished cedar that we usually use? I've asked my sandblasting guy about it but I'd like to get some more opinions.

The customer asked for teak, but apparently teak is difficult to mask for sandblasting.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have a customer who wants us to do a sandblasted sign for her to mount on the side of a boat. Are there any particular types of wood and finishing that you guys would recommend, besides the standard finished cedar that we usually use? I've asked my sandblasting guy about it but I'd like to get some more opinions.

The customer asked for teak, but apparently teak is difficult to mask for sandblasting.

You're probably gonna wanna re-think this one. Sandblasting a sign out of wood for this kind of application, might be more than the sign will be capable of enduring. Possibly mahogany or the teak she mentioned will work, but I'd highly recommend carving this kind of sign and not blasting. Then make sure you seal and coat the livin' daylights out of it when finished.

Kevin-shopVOX

You're probably gonna wanna re-think this one. Sandblasting a sign out of wood for this kind of application, might be more than the sign will be capable of enduring. Possibly mahogany or the teak she mentioned will work, but I'd highly recommend carving this kind of sign and not blasting. Then make sure you seal and coat the livin' daylights out of it when finished.

+1 Sandblasting will expose to much raw grain. The texture will allow to much water to sit (even blasted at a slight upward angle) causing the clear to wear much faster. I would do as Gino says, v-carve the sign..then at least 3-5 coats of clear.

shoresigns

Thanks for the advice, guys. So I don't sound like an idiot when I discuss this with my customer, what's the difference between v-carving, machining and routing? I know next to nothing about woodworking.

JR's

(what's the difference between v-carving, machining and routing) I'm not sure what you're asking, but you could either use chisels or a router to achieve the same thing. I would sub it out. And finish it with five coats of spa clear

Last edited:

Craig Sjoquist

V-Carving ..normally done with a V chisel by hand and mallet.

Routing ..normally done with a hand router set up with table and jig and or by hand and eye movement.

machine.. normally done by CNC digital in use of a router.

Sub this job out or take it on spend money enjoy.

threads1

Normally, these are oval in shape, made out of teak with a gold V-carved text. If you want it to last a long time, epoxy it.