• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sandblasted Wood Sign

paul luszcz

I'm looking for a supplier of sandblasted wood signs.

I have a customer, a regional conservation group, that won't allow us to use HDU, so I'm looking to have a sign blasted for interior use as a donor recognition plaque. The face would be painted then blasted to expose the natural wood to act as the second color.

Very few suppliers on the east coast seem to do this anymore.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Why not apply vinyl. Paint and then peel the vinyl and then finish with a clear coat. If your only using the sandblasting to remove paint and not for depth then this will achieve the same effect and you can do it in house.

paul luszcz

Here's a photo of signs we did years ago that show what we're trying to achieve. There is some depth to the natural wood and the grain of the wood shows with the sandblasting. I don't expect we'd get that look with CNC routing or vinyl.

Attachments

• IMG_5441.jpg
    IMG_5441.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 107

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You'd just hafta hog the whole inside out, therefore making it a flat relief sign. From a few feet away, no one would know the difference. You also don't hafta match up the grains as well, but it doesn't look like ya did on those, either.

synergy_jim

I'm looking for a supplier of sandblasted wood signs.

I have a customer, a regional conservation group, that won't allow us to use HDU, so I'm looking to have a sign blasted for interior use as a donor recognition plaque. The face would be painted then blasted to expose the natural wood to act as the second color.

Very few suppliers on the east coast seem to do this anymore.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

LOL @ a conservation group insisting you use wood on signs.....

paul luszcz

I am gleaning through the sarcasm that you feel their preference for wood over HDU is environmentally incorrect, yes?

Is there a sustainable wood you would recommend or do you have information I should give them to show them that high density urethane is a more environmentally correct material?

Billct2

I believe Hanson uses Cedar or Redwood both of which can be harvested sustainably. There are several websites which confirm this.
Also if you want a natural background it's hard to imitate real wood, especially for something viewed up close.

J Hill Designs

we had a local guy who sandblasted only as his trade for years, but finally his health dwindled too much to continue.
we now use a powdercoating place that does a fair job at blasting our blanks.
something to look into.

synergy_jim

[h=1]Precision Board HDU: Meeting Green Signage Standards[/h]December 10, 2013|News

Did you know that because Precision Board Plus is certified green, and assists in meeting LEED requirements for obtaining USGBC and ICC 700-2008 building credits?
Today’s architects and business/housing planners place a strong focus on the environmental impact, sustainability and energy-efficiency of their designs. These design changes mean material suppliers must constantly be ever-evolving to match the environmental concerns of both designers and consumers alike.
Precision Board Plus has a Certified Rapidly Renewable Resource Content of 23.9% and a Carbon Footprint of 3:1. This means roughly a quarter of each sheet of Precision Board is made up of a rapidly renewable resource. In addition, Precision Board contains absolutely no VOC’s or carcinogens, making it safe in the workplace and eco-friendly.
LEED is an internationally recognized green building certification system, promoting energy savings, water efficiency, CO2 emissions reduction, improved indoor environment quality, and stewardship of resources and sensitivity to their impacts. LEED stands for “Leadership in Energy & Environmental Designs”, and was developed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC).
The ICC 700-2008 National Green Building Standard™ is an ANSI-approved consensus standard that provides criteria for rating the environmental performance of residential buildings including detached and attached single-family, multi-unit and renovation projects. It was developed as a partnership between the National Association of Home Builders and the International Code Council. To learn more, visit the National Green Building Standard website at www.nahbgreen.org.
Do you offer a “green signage” option for your customers? What are you waiting for? Request a free sample of certified green Precision Board today!

The William J. Clinton Presidential Library in Little Rock, AR, has a LEED Platinum certification and is the first LEED certified Presidential Library.

7oaks

Lewis Redwood is another supplier of redwood sign blanks. (lewisredwood.com) Shipping from CA wasn't as bad as I expected.

Ken