• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sandblasting?

SIGNTIME

It seems we have been getting a good amount of request for routed/sandblasted signs as of late and I was wondering if this is something I would want to start doing in house with a sandblaster.

1. Is there a special type of sandblaster for making these signs and what would one of these cost?

2. What is the best sandblasting mask to use with a gx500 roland plotter or would I want to get another plotter to dedicate to cutting the mask?

3. What type of space is needed for the sandblasting and can it be done outside without DEC bothering us?

4. What is the best materials to use as far as substrates and paints?

5. What am I over looking?

I know there has to be a certain technique I will need to learn is there any good videos or maybe a book or another type of source to learning this or do I need to just get my feet wet?

zmatalucci

Your going to want at least a 100lb pot. ( $1,000 +)
A compressor big enough to keep up. 100cfm+ (mine was $4,500 used)
Yes you can blast outside. I'd recommend an air supplied respirator. ( $800-$1500 )
We blast HDU and western red cedar.
A tangential head plotter is ideal...Or cut by hand.
etc.

Mosh

What a mess, I have not blasted a sign in 15 years...I have a tops pot
that hold 75 lbs of media. The compressor we used was one of my Dad's
pull behind compressors (used for jackhammers).
What a mess to do is all I have to say, we used Black Diamond for the blast media,
it was a mess. Did I mention it is a mess....

TammieH

NO, you should be able to find an industrial sandblaster in your area,
but if you are going to blast yourself , like Zeth recommended get an air supplied respirator, you also need to run plumbing for the airline to trap water, so your pot does not clog up.

...things you have to be concerned about other than your health

How are you going to dispose of all the waist; saw dust, leftover abrasive, etc.

I sandblasted for a couple years, it is a mess and can be a health hazard. When I started at a new all in house sign shop in the mid 90's we did everything in house except sandblasting, glue and paint your own signs, apply the resist and take them to a professional to blast. We use to get a company in SW Ohio to blast $4 per square foot, but that was 7 years ago.

SD&F

A large part of what we do is sandblasting, along with CNC and Monuments as well.
I can tell you that I believe that you will have issues blasting outside. Someone WILL complain. I use HDU and Cedar. We use Mathews paints. You will need to not only have a compressor and if possible a blast booth/area, you will probably need to get a grain fraim kit to allow you acheive a different bast on HDU. You will need to waste some materials to practice, practice, practice before you first paid job.

SD&F

I forgot that as mntioned above you need a respirator/suit to keep that stuff out of your lungs and off of your body. It is toxic to breath and hard as heck to get off your body. We have to be certified to get in the blast booth here(air/safety)

SignProPlus-Chip

Check your local EPA regulations first.

Open air blasting using silica sand and some other media is prohibited here in SC.

OSHA also requires proper clean/fresh air masks when blasting. Check your workers comp insurance, and any requirements you have to follow as an employer to ensure your employees health and safety. Some areas require the employer pays for regular health exams to employees doing blasting work.

Nothing like a nice case of silicosis to ruin....well, end your life.

TammieH

And you do not want to use silica sand unless your are set up to do so, air fed respirator, dust collection, etc. ...its nasty stuff

rjssigns

On the rare occasion I need a sign blasted it goes to the monument guy down the way. Uses stone blast on the cedar. Works great.

Pat Whatley

I was wondering if this is something I would want to start doing in house with a sandblaster.

No. Unless you're cranking out a ton of sandblasted signs you'll never make enough money to justify the equipment cost, mess, supplies, and labor.

Build your own blanks, mask them yourself, find somebody to blast them for you. If I can wait a couple of days my guy will blast them for beer money. He just runs through them in a few minutes while blasting heavy machinery.

Sandblasting can be cost prohibitive for those retail sign shops who don't produce a sufficient enough of a quantity to maintain a blast booth, masking station and an appropriate air/filtration system, etc... For those of you who find yourself outsourcing sandblasted panels... another alternative to consider is Foamcore Sign Panels, they have a look that is very similar to sandblasted signs except they are much more durable and have no flex factor or seams. We use the same manufacturing technique for our foamcore monument signs on a larger scale. Check them out: http://www.foamcraft.info/foam-sign-panels.php

SD&F

We do sub work for the regular shops who do not have any interest in getting into that line of businesss. They just get the art and send/or we create if needed. We produce and they make their profit with little effort except of course customer interaction. This gives them another way to make money and not have money out of pocket.