• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Saving artboard dimensions?

GoodPeopleFlags

Ya know in Illustrator, when you open a new file, you can type in the dimensions for the artboard? Is there a way to save sizes in the drop down list, such as 18x24, 12x24, etc? I'm talking about the drop down list that has Letter, Legal, Tabloid, A4, etc.

I know I could just save a file called "18x24" and open that one as needed, but thought it would be convienent to have it in the drop down list instead.

J Hill Designs

try this:

You have to run Illustrator as an administrator and then create a blank artboard(s) of the required size. You can then save this in the template folder (find where this is by clicking 'browse' in the 'New Document' window) by clicking 'Save As' and selecting file-type 'Adobe Illustrator Template' (.AIT). Then next time you open up the New Document window, there is a tab on the right which says 'Templates'. Click that and open up the 'Blank Templates' folder. The saved template should be in there - if you've saved it in the right place.

beermonster

yeah thats where i was heading - was trying to get a new profile into the "new document" profiles folder as a default - then you could choose it (like choosing "web" or "print") but cant get it to read the files - did a template and put that in there too - no joy on that

templates is the way

GoodPeopleFlags

Saving the templates seems like just as many steps to open it, if not more, as just saving a file with an 18x24 artboard. Just hoping there would be a way to save it in the drop down list. Thanks!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Multiple Artboards

CS4 and CS5 have multiple artboard capabilities.

I have a made one single file consisting of several artboards the sizes I use most. I've even included two artboards that are the size of my plotter media, so all I have to do is drag my artwork onto those boards when I'm ready to export to SignLab or AutoCAD.

Illustrator gives you the choice of what gets printed or exported, so it doesn't matter how much stuff is on your artboards. Only the selected artwork gets plotted or printed.

Everytime the file is opened, it gets re-named to the customer's job number.

speedneeds

I have all my common sizes and shapes saved as templates. I created an action and assigned a keystroke for it. Now all I have to do is keystroke and choose the file (sign) that I need.