• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Saving Flexi files to an SSD drive

paxas

Has anyone else noticed that saving large Flexi files to a SSD (solid state) drive is no quicker than to an HDD (ordinary Hard Drive) , yet opening them from a SDD is , especially if the Temp files folder (set in preferences) saves to the SDD as well.
I have tried different combinations of drives and it seem that the only way to speed up the saving process is to have a quicker CPU, the drive speed makes no difference, only the temp file folder location.
I'm talking about files with lots of embedded photos in them, where there is a lot of compression occurring during the process and file sizes of over 200 mb (after compression).
I had hoped that a SSD drive would be the obvious way to go but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Custom_Grafx

I think you may have answered some of your own questions.

If it needs compression and CPU grunt to generate the file you are saving, then having a faster drive will not mean it will save faster. It will only write to the disk faster... after it's created the file.

When you're opening the file, there's obviously less CPU involvement, so it's opening quicker, as SDD has quicker read/write speeds.

paxas

Yes I guess I have , however I wanted to see if anyone else had noticed this and in particular how slow flexi was at saving large files - now that they use file compression ( as opposed to earlier versions ) which didn't.

Sign-Man Signs

I use a palm size usb 550 gig external drive for all my Flexi files. Automatic back up.
1) Don't have to worry about losing my files if computer takes a dump.
2) Can transfer my files to my lap top by taking the hard drive with me when I visit customers.
3) Have about 45 gig in customer files that doesn't take up room on my PC.
As far as speed, my main pc has 3.00 Ghz Processor, 5 GB ram. I really don't have a issue.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I have no clue what ^^^ that has to do with the question or the thread. Anyways yeah - the issue is Flexi compressing the raster images when saving. Same as copy/paste in Flexi - it compresses it when you copy.

Only good solution is x64 Windows, gobs of ram, and fast processing. We have Flexi running on 2 different machines - the older one with 4GB of ram, x32 Windows 7, and a Q6600 quad core processor is massivley slower when it has to compress a file with a lot of big images in it. On the main design machine - that has x64 Windows 7, 32GB of ram, and dual quad core xeon processors - the speed is improved greatly. This machine also uses an Intel G2 SSD too. :peace!:

Custom_Grafx

32GB of ram, and dual quad core xeon processors - the speed is improved greatly. This machine also uses an Intel G2 SSD too. :peace!:

holy shmoly batman!!! that thing might be able to enter the redbull flugtag if you velcro'd a couple of wings on it.

would love to see that thing in action!

LittleSnakey

Has anyone else had problems when there are too many jpg images in a file. Sometimes I cannot save the file cause its too big and have to break it up into a few flexi files.

paxas

I haven't found that running Flexi in windows 64bit makes any difference (since it is only a 32 bit app) except for the obvious ability to use a zillion GB's RAM -which is nice of course. I think it would help though if Flexi (SAI) made the app more multi threaded to help with the above mentioned problem. It seems that Flexi only runs 2 threads so my 8 core CPU is half asleep while a few cores are slaving their guts out trying to compress a bunch of nasty rastered files. Maybe I should try overclocking the CPU to get these little core-guys to run around even faster ? huh :banghead: