• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Saving onyx files

CanuckSigns

I've been using onyx thrive for about 2 years no, and I have a noob question

Back when I ran versaworks, you had the option of saving your ripped files as .rvw files, which saved all your profile info, tiling specs etc. So if you needed to reprint a panel 2 years later you could easily do that.

Is there such a feature in onyx? I've looked at the file menu and don't see a "save" option.

It's pretty much the only feature from versaworks that I miss.

ikarasu

All your files are saved in the onyx work folder under the printer name. Something like c:/onyx/work/hp latex blah blah.

Every month I manually back up the folder - then if I need to go back to get certain colors, I pull the job name out of that folder.. Drop it into onyxs current work folder and it's there.

Not the most efficient way... But It works. I find keeping more than a month in the folder ends up slowing onyx down upon opening it.

Bly

If you open your jobs through Job Editor it will save an ONX file which has all the details stored in it.
Next time you want to print that job open the ONX file instead of the source file.

CanuckSigns

OK, follow up question, when I click the save button in Job Editor, I don;t get an option to choose where to save the file, where does it go by default?

MikePro

the only issue i've had with onyx, is if you somehow change your file structure, i.e. move a file from print folder to a subfolder within it or rename a folder, the onyx file doesn't recognize/update this. understandably so. the onyx file only contains information as to how the original file was handled/scaled & selected profiles/color changes/etc.
so, worst-case, if you try to go back at a certain time and try to open the onyx file in preflight.... it may prompt you to "find" the image file it is linked to, even if it is still in the same folder as the onyx file.

Bly

OK, follow up question, when I click the save button in Job Editor, I don;t get an option to choose where to save the file, where does it go by default?

You don't need to save. It automatically saves the ONX file in the same folder as the print file.

CanuckSigns

You don't need to save. It automatically saves the ONX file in the same folder as the print file.

Is this an option that needs to be selected? When you say same folder as my print files, would that be the folder on the local computer or in the original folder on my server when the file was grabbed from?

TimToad

Is this an option that needs to be selected? When you say same folder as my print files, would that be the folder on the local computer or in the original folder on my server when the file was grabbed from?

Same folder, you just won't see it at your workstation unless you choose to see All File Formats or however it words it.

Bly

I think you might be over complicating it.
Open a file with Job Editor and print.
Then go to the folder the artwork was in - there will be an ONX file in that folder.
When you want to reprint it open the ONX file instead of the art file and all the settings from the previous print will be applied.
That's all there is to it.

ikarasu

I always have view all files on, including operating files... And onyx has never saved a .onx file with my original artwork... did you guys change a setting somewhere?

The onlyway I ever figured out how to do it was to copy the files from c:\onyx\work\printername, and copy them back whenever I wanted to get the settings back. I've never seen an .onx file before... I even hit save in Job editor, went back into the folder with onyx and couldn't see any other file to be open.

Took the plunge and upgraded to Onyx at home, finally got rid of Flexi. Would be nice to figure out a more smooth way to save job settings than my current constant copying/backing up the job folder! So any tips/help on how you guys got it to save .onx would be appreciated. I've looked and looked in every setting and I can't figure it out.

[Edit] I figured out if you are in job editor, you can goto File > Package and save the file as .onx.

You guys have to tell me how you're getting it to do it automatically...It beats the way I've been doing it for the past 2 years!

Last edited:

ikarasu

Ok.. after playing around with it, I think I get what we're doing wrong.

I usually open it in onyx and then open it in job editor. Which doesn't save the .onx file...

However if you open up the file FROM within job editor instead of just hitting "Job in job editor" it'll ask you where to save the .onx file.

It'd be nice if it worked both ways though! I guess I could get used to opening files up Via the job editor.

CanuckSigns

Ok.. after playing around with it, I think I get what we're doing wrong.

I usually open it in onyx and then open it in job editor. Which doesn't save the .onx file...

However if you open up the file FROM within job editor instead of just hitting "Job in job editor" it'll ask you where to save the .onx file.

It'd be nice if it worked both ways though! I guess I could get used to opening files up Via the job editor.

Ahh that explains it, I've never opened a job directly into job editor before, I always open into the rip queue, then I right click and open in job editor if needed.

I'll try this out on Monday!