• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sawgrass direct to garment printer vs std screen printing

Any opinions on the Sawgrass Direct to Garment printer that signwarehouse is selling, vs standard screen printing? Pros vs Cons, it's a very expensive jump and want to make sure that it is the right one.

Thank you
Mike Sosebee

neato

You're comparing apples to oranges.

DTG machines are made for low volume orders, or jobs that are too complicated to screen print. Screen printing is better suited for orders of 12 or more pieces.

You should decide what type of customers you'll be printing shirts for, and if you have the desire to have a screen printing mess, I mean setup, in your shop. There is also a huge learning curve to screenprinting. I don't know about DTG, but I'm guessing that takes a little learning as well.

We di custom screenprinting with 2 autos and 2 manuals. Three years ago we purcahsed a Brother DTG printer for short runs. It has proven very reliable and cost efficent. We have printed runs as high as 300. The number twelve suggested by Phillip is nowhere near close to the profit margin. We have 4 jobs scheduled for production next week on the DTG all over 100 and we will make a good profit. Many factors enter into the equation but it has been a good investment for us. I do not believe it will ever replace screen printing entirely, but for many jobs it is better. My advice would be to check the track record of the machine you intend to buy for reliability and support. We have printed 52,000 prints with the count increasing ever month. If I can help I would be glad to talk to you. My number is 662-651-4127 ask for Don.

Air Art Girl

I will tell you this...........when comparing DTG machines at SGIA, Sawgrass was not even in the running for the models we considered. Go to a show and compare for yourself before choosing.

GB2

Old Member
AAG...could you please give a liitle more information as to what you found at the SGIA show? If you were to buy a new machine at that show, what would it have been and why?

Air Art Girl

I did buy one at the show 2 years ago. It is a Tjet because I wanted white ink. If I was only going for color on light shirts I would have gotten the Brother.

signage

Brother has now added white ink to their system! Have not seen one but I have heard about it!

kage

A person on t shirt forums.com did a wash test on all the samples he got from SGIA. There wasnt a sample from sawgrass. I would also want to see it in action before I purchased. Brother and Kornit havethe best machines imho.

The sawgrass has the white ink option as well. But was just using that as I had seen it in the signwarehouse catalog I had here. Just didnt know how the quality would be compared to a screen printing system.

GB2

Old Member
How about cost...does anyone know what the approximate cost comparison is between the various brands, or are they comparable?