• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

say goodbye to printing as we know it ?

synergy_jim

I have read a few reviews of the new memjet technology. Memjet is posting some pretty impressive speeds with this new style of print head and printing method.

Seems to me it would only make sense for Memjet to use this on large format printing also...

Does anyone know much about this new technology?

JD

SAS

That's fast, check out the wide format printer video.

Memjet Wide-format printer

* 52-inch printhead contains 422,400 nozzles and prints up to 5.4 billion dots per second
* Paper moves under printer at up to 12 inches per second (6 inches per second at native 1600 dots per inch)
* Scalable technology allows for any printhead width and can create prints of any length
* Technology prints from a PC Desktop and creates quality photo prints with 5 color channels
* Potential retail pricing below $5000

Baz

From the info i quickly read, i wouldnt be ready to say goodbye just yet. The technologie doesnt seem to be adequate for agressive exterior inks. Looks like the nozzles are quick to dry up. Also with the speed at which it can print it would require a verry powerfull computer to send the data to keep up with the printer.

That being said, its a given that printer technologie will allways progress and change for better speeds, better resolution and affordability. I can just use an example i got today ... I will be doing a large batch of signs next week for an outdoor fundraising event. I got a call from an advertising agency that said they were taking care of one of the sponsors and producing the signs themselves. Seems like every Tom, Dick and Harry is buying a printer nowadays and producing "signs". Even my landlord has his own printer (and he's a construction contractor)!!

I'm feeling more and more like scraping the shop, selling off all my "producing" equipment and getting into installations. I know all of these people aren't or will not be willing to go out and actually do some work!

Ok ... I'm not really going to be closing shop but still ... Allways seeing cheaper and faster "sign" producing equipment just has me wanting to rant a little ;).

Samm

So instead of 1 or 2 nozzels to clog and clean, you have 422,400??

I'll take a dozen thanks!

mediaman

Baz,

The printer's buffer should be able to spool the job before printing so the computer doesn't have to be a monster.

GK

Thats been goin on for a while (more than 3 years) but what they need to do is make those 52" print heads in separate sections, cuz ones you get a problem...i can only imagine what a 52" print head will run. But hey...why would they do that lol thats what they want. This started with photo kiosks for in store prints so they could literally do a roll of film or digital memory card in seconds. Wouldn't mind having a few though, with production speeds like that, who needs more then one shift =)

signmeup

I would guess there are less parts. The printhead doesn't appear to move, just the media so that would be 1 moving part? From reading the website it sounds like the head is in sections. The little photo printer was cool to watch.

Adrian