• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SC-500 issues

biffman

We have this printer which has been converted to ECO-SOL and now has the name ESX-500.

When I power it up and it readies itself for setup, all is well. When I load the media and press setup, the cutting tool will roll across the sheet and then speed back across to attach to the print heads. This is normal procedure.

Lately, the cutting tool will make grinding noises on the return trip. It sounds like sand in the gears or something like that. Today it is worse. The cutting tool now makes more noise, only on the return trip and then slams into the print head causing the printer to shutdown.

The gears are clean. With the power off, I can slide the mech back and forth and it is smooth rolling.

The display will show a motor error after the failed setup, but that doesn't convince me to replace the motor.

Does anybody have any ideas? I would appreciate any input.

Jake

CS-SignSupply

Sounds like the Linear bearing.... Get some 3-in-1 Machine oil (Nothing else) and put a few drops on the main guide rail that the head is mounted to... Power the unit off and unplug. Then manually and gently, move the cuthead back and forth 8 or 10 times. Add another drop or two and repeat.

The linear bearing is nearly impossible to replace. Oil it occasionally. NO WD-40 or anything other than high quality 3-in-1 machine oil.

biffman

Could it be a faulty sensor that is causing the choppy noise and the slamming into the print head? I'm not quite sure how that sensor works or how I could test that theory.

Does anyone know if that is the same part as the sensor for the print head?

Thanks again,
Jake

biffman

Bobby:

Yes I had contemplated removing that from the rail, but after taking it apart down to that small guide, I decided not to go further before knowing what is inside.

My reasons for doing that was the small amounts of a gum like substance on the rail. Maybe the oil will help.

Thanks
Jake

artbot

not sure what to search for, but this exact issue was discussed and solved on this board about 2 or 3 months ago.