• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SC-500 Print Grainy and Ink dries immediately

ONYX-BERLIN

Hi a Roland tech fixed my machine (Head Change - calibrated the machine an SC-500 converted) and I now have an odd situation which I hope experienced users can help with.

The prints look now very grainy and I can now print without heaters at all..

The Ink is almost immediately dry? What happened? Does anybody know what that might cause? The prints look great from 1-2 feet away but up close they look very very grainy..

sfr table hockey

What ink are you using?

What was the media you were trying to print on?

What were the issues before you had it fixed?

The being dry right away is weird. Might be the profile and ink limits backed off too much.
There are a few medias I can print on without heat but have found the a day or so later after drying, the prints with no heat sratched easier as if the ink never bit into the media.

I also tend to print with fine2 on almost all things and only use super for small decal stuff.

ONYX-BERLIN

The inks are made in europe and are of very good quality. The media is Orajet 3164. The head went crazy and misfired in test prints and during the printing.

Maybe I am asking for too much with such an old printer but it seems just not right and I feel it was better (smoother before)

Plus the media was the same and the ink was wet in the first 5-20 inches.

I used the same profile like I did before the tech came in and then created a new profile but no change in this.

Temperature was tried from off to 20 degress way up to 45 Degrees Celsius..

sfr table hockey

Not sure what is happening.

Were both heads replaced?

I assume that the tech changed the head rank # for the new head or heads. If the ribbon cable was not put back on right then that may account for the heads going weird.

Did it work ok when the tech was there?

What does the test print look like for both heads now?

Again why was the tech out in the first place?

As for temp I need to run the heat at approx 47 C to get oracal 3641 media to stop being grainy and it is almost like a little too low it is grainy then bang it hit the right temp and the grainyness drops off. Other media not near as much heat. 3641 was a lower grade media.

Remember don't work on the printer removing cables and such with the power on. Always unplug and press the power button a couple times to discharge.

If one head is the issue you could try to re set the ribbon cable but that would involve removing the head and that can be a bit trickey getting the head back in and seated correct and then you may have to re align if that black lever in the front moves any little bit.

wedosigns

If it printed fine the first 5-10 inches mabey it is fading out. Once it starts going grainy pause then cancel the job, then do a test print to see if all jets are firing. Or you can print bands of solid CMYKlclm and see if it fades out.
Ink fade would indicate an issue with the dampers or air getting in the lines.

sfr table hockey

Can't remember on this unit but does it have head height options?? High/low?

Yes there are 3 setting, but almost all things I print are at the high however some static issues, when happening, are better at low.

The part I am wondering about is the "The head went crazy and misfired in test prints and during the printing. Maybe I am asking for too much with such an old printer but it seems just not right and I feel it was better (smoother before)"

The ink should not dry that quick on these printers however dry enough by the time they hit a takeup reel. Once the print area has moved off the platten they should not be wet but would still be tackey.