• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sc-500 Vacuum?

lodcomm

Hello Folks,

Is there a "Vacuum" setting or adjustment on the SC/CJ-500 ? The print area appears to have holes in it that would function as a vacuum, however I see no setting or information in the service manual that refers to it?

thanks!

sfr table hockey

In the service menu about 12 down there is a fan check, but I don't think it changes the speed for the printer when in use, but only to test the speeds. Off Med and High I think. The fan should come on when in use and changes speeds as you go to print to create that vacuum you need to hold the media down flat.

I don't think you can turn the fan off (except for that test mode) so if it is not running you may have an issue.

lodcomm

In the service menu about 12 down there is a fan check, but I don't think it changes the speed for the printer when in use, but only to test the speeds. Off Med and High I think. The fan should come on when in use and changes speeds as you go to print to create that vacuum you need to hold the media down flat.

As Usual SFR - Thanks for the instant information!. I hear the fan running and at variable speeds, however it seems like the "vacuum" suction along the print strip is somewhat weak? I will look in the service manual and see if there is a filter or a procedure for cleaning the vacuum circuit.

Thanks again sir!

-todd

sfr table hockey

If you have never taken off the thin silver platten or what ever you call that, you may want to open it up and see if a quick cleaning is in order. I think you can see the fan and it may just be quite dusty in there. Make sure the power is off at the back just so you don't shock something when cleaning.

There is not a lot of drag caused by the vacuume but if you lay a piece of paper on it when testing you should see it suck down but yet still can drag it across the platten.

lodcomm

If you have never taken off the thin silver platten or what ever you call that, you may want to open it up and see if a quick cleaning is in order. I think you can see the fan and it may just be quite dusty in there. Make sure the power is off at the back just so you don't shock something when cleaning.

There is not a lot of drag caused by the vacuume but if you lay a piece of paper on it when testing you should see it suck down but yet still can drag it across the platten.

I am assuming the platten is the actual silver strip with the holes in it that "suck" the media down. I will have a look in the manual on how to remove it and check for dust & debris clogging it.

I am getting my print quality narrowed down fairly well :) I have another quick question on flexi, I posted over on the the flexi forum, but you may know. I want to experiment with adjusting the media feeds for different materials and my Inks to see if I can eliminate the faint "lines" I am seeing in the solid colors in photo mode. In Flexi-8 - In the Print settings driver there is an option for "media feed calibration" - in the flexi manual it states: "if checked, the printer will use the value provided tocompensate for variations in feed rates during the outputprocess. This provides more accurate output." However I see no place to enter a value? Any idea where I can adjust this value?

thanks!

madsign25

""I am assuming the platten is the actual silver strip with the holes in it that "suck" the media down.""

-No it's not never take it off your printer will be parts on the ground ,it's the front cover with one hole for paper sensor easy to remove just lose the screw you can see it.

- For feed calibration you can do it from printer menu read user manual chapter feed correction.

-the vacuum in new printer can control it from software flexi or versawork or any program others the old can't but how I remember not sure when setup sheet on machine you get choice roll -edge- piece
when set piece that mean you have 1.6 meter sheet you can pass this length in this case fan will be low.
when set edge that mean you have roll after taking width machine back it to edge.
when set roll that mean you have roll after taking width machine not move forward or backward ,in edge or roll choice fan will be strong.

lodcomm

""I am assuming the platten is the actual silver strip with the holes in it that "suck" the media down.""

-No it's not never take it off your printer will be parts on the ground ,it's the front cover with one hole for paper sensor easy to remove just lose the screw you can see it.

- For feed calibration you can do it from printer menu read user manual chapter feed correction.

-the vacuum in new printer can control it from software flexi or versawork or any program others the old can't but how I remember not sure when setup sheet on machine you get choice roll -edge- piece
when set piece that mean you have 1.6 meter sheet you can pass this length in this case fan will be low.
when set edge that mean you have roll after taking width machine back it to edge.
when set roll that mean you have roll after taking width machine not move forward or backward ,in edge or roll choice fan will be strong.

Thanks for the clarification MadSign I will not attempt to remove the "Vacuum strip". I think I understand you to say that the vacuum fan speed will be contingent on the width of the media that is in the printer. I will investigate this and report back

thanks again everyone!

-t

madsign25

I mean that fan speed change according to roll length not roll width, according to the heavy of roll 5 meter more heavy than 2 meter more resistance to pull need more speed fan to feed it. When sheet setup choosing piece mode that mean you set piece not length more than 1.6 meter so fan will be low when set edge or roll mode that mean you set sheet length more than 1.6 meter more heavy need more speed fan.

again I'm not sure test it.

check your fan that work or not from service menu (check fan).

another thing for good feed material check wheel the left and the right ,must have high edge and down edge , when set material the high edge must be out material the down edge must be inside.If the the wheel edge are level that mean you must replace , it's designed for pull material to right side and left side so material be level, you can test the wheel when remove it drop it on level table or ground must run in curve line not straight line too much run curve too much good less run curve not good need replaced.

if you have mid wheel it's always straight (level edge) not like right or left wheel .