• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SC-540 EX Pro II Feed Motor error 0001

PrintWorkz

I recently bought a used Roland SC-545 EX Pro II. I finally got it to connect and printing. But when it retracts the media to cut its showing a Feed Motor Error Code 0001. I'm new to this machine since I'm used to my old vinyl cutter. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Dragos_RO

Solving Roland 0001 ERROR

OK. This is a tricky error. I managed to fix a Roland XC-540 that had this problem.
My english is not so good, so excuse my future bad spelling.

So the 0001 Error Code is explained like a "Feed Motor Deviation Error"

Indicates a communication error between the feed motor response and the servo board.
I didn't find any explanation in solving this problem so i took it from the beginning.

First of all UNPLUG the printer.
1. Check if the grit roller that push the printing material is locked, if it can move freely.

If it's locked:
1.1 Take down the feed motor - it's located in the left side of the machine; you can access it from the back.

- Manually spin the feed motor roller and then the grit roller.
- if the feed motors is blocked then you find the problem. Change it: ASSY,FEED MOTOR CJ-540
- if the grit roller is blocked then you find the problem. Unblock it.

If the grit roller is moving freely then we know it's not a mechanical issue, so we move on :).

2. Verify the electrical conection between the feed motor and the servo board.
Using a multimeter verify the continuity pin by pin to both ends of the wire that connects the feed motor with the servo board. (usually the multimeter's wire is short so use a wire for extension).

The feed motor has an encoder encapsulated in it - you can check it by removing the motor and disassemble it - but usually it's not the problem.

On the left side of the grit roller is the GEAR, H300S10 and the GRID ENCODER TS5217N561 FJ-540 - you can have a look - usually the problem is not there.

If all is ok then move to the next step. (not much longer now :)

3. Servo Board.
In this point it's very possible that the servo board it's broken. A Roland engeneer would tell you to change it, but have someone check the driver that controls the feed motor movement: IC24.

In my case this was the case. So after changing the IC24 driver the printer has came back to life like a phoenix.

Feel free to tell if this helps you.
Have a nice day!

Sincerely
Dragos

PrintWorkz

OK. This is a tricky error. I managed to fix a Roland XC-540 that had this problem.
My english is not so good, so excuse my future bad spelling.

So the 0001 Error Code is explained like a "Feed Motor Deviation Error"

Indicates a communication error between the feed motor response and the servo board.
I didn't find any explanation in solving this problem so i took it from the beginning.

First of all UNPLUG the printer.
1. Check if the grit roller that push the printing material is locked, if it can move freely.

If it's locked:
1.1 Take down the feed motor - it's located in the left side of the machine; you can access it from the back.

- Manually spin the feed motor roller and then the grit roller.
- if the feed motors is blocked then you find the problem. Change it: ASSY,FEED MOTOR CJ-540
- if the grit roller is blocked then you find the problem. Unblock it.

If the grit roller is moving freely then we know it's not a mechanical issue, so we move on :).

2. Verify the electrical conection between the feed motor and the servo board.
Using a multimeter verify the continuity pin by pin to both ends of the wire that connects the feed motor with the servo board. (usually the multimeter's wire is short so use a wire for extension).

The feed motor has an encoder encapsulated in it - you can check it by removing the motor and disassemble it - but usually it's not the problem.

On the left side of the grit roller is the GEAR, H300S10 and the GRID ENCODER TS5217N561 FJ-540 - you can have a look - usually the problem is not there.

If all is ok then move to the next step. (not much longer now :)

3. Servo Board.
In this point it's very possible that the servo board it's broken. A Roland engeneer would tell you to change it, but have someone check the driver that controls the feed motor movement: IC24.

In my case this was the case. So after changing the IC24 driver the printer has came back to life like a phoenix.

Feel free to tell if this helps you.
Have a nice day!

Sincerely
Dragos

ok thank you I'll give it a shot today

Papajo

Feed motor errors are extremely rarely caused by hardware failure (in fact I have never ever seen a feed motor error that was caused by hardware failure). Most of the time it's caused by a new roll being too heavy for the feed motor (especially with banner rolls) or anything that could block the media movement.

A common error is to use the take up unit on print & cut jobs, then the machine cannot roll back the media and sticks on feed motor error.