• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SC-545EX Problems - Help Please!

jvoisel

We picked this machine up used 3 years ago and it has been pretty much problem free until now. We keep it up, clean it weekly, etc. We've always used the same ink and 3M material, nothing has changed except the print.

First problem I had was I tried to print a simply job, the colors are very washed out and there's a lot of banding. I cleaned the machine (even though it was just done 3 day ago) but could never get this to clear up. I made some black/colored stripes and tried another print, all looked the same so I called the tech.

9BD3FCA2-121D-483A-AEA6-7797E24E0370-4338-000001D03FECAAA8_zps048be760.jpg
4157FC8E-0BE6-4AE7-94E0-B6E4D6A61773-4338-000001CFDE37142A_zpsee4fa735.jpg

He did a few test prints then we replaced all 12 dampers, all 6 cap tops, and the encoder sensor and the print never got better. for all of the test prints, the first pass looked fine and then the second pass looked bad so he thinks it's an electrical issue.

Here's a few test prints..

770BC4BC-835E-492E-A96F-F27127F8CC73-4338-000001CFCD5C8F02_zps980dbdbc.jpg

We replaced the Carriage Board and the problem is still there. I did 3 test prints in a row this morning and nothing much has changed. (first print starts at bottom of pic)
C3CF041D-8CF4-4E6A-B3D8-1B8519431054-4338-000001CFD7777E1B_zps827d9fcc.jpg

Next he wants to change the headboard, and if that doesn't fix it we will move on to the main board. Anyone ever have these problems or have suggestions to a fix? Thanks!

Last edited:

kanini

Why is the tech changing components like underwear when the test print is missing that many nozzles?? Like jhilldesigns said, try a head soak first. You do have the feed calibration checked of course, or?

jvoisel

He's changing electrical components because he believes it's a electrical problem since the first pass of the test print looks good and the second pass is bad.

I have not checked the feed calibration, nor do I know how exactly to do a head soak. I'll look through the manual and search online to see what I can learn on those though.

kanini

In addition, when you've lowered the caps with the wrench you can move the heads manually with the power off...

jvoisel

My tech knows a guy with a good headboard out of the same machine, so he's going to bring that by today and see if it changes anything before I order a new one. If that doesn't fix the problem I'll have him do a head soak / teach me how for next time. I'll ask him about having air in the lines too.

:thankyou::thankyou: I'll report back

jvoisel

Well, new head board didn't change anything. So now he's looking at the main board.

I'm working on doing a head soak now

Robert M

Pump

That series printer had the old style pump out of the box, most were later upgraded. Looks to me like this could be a pump issue. Have the tech check this, also no mention of the wipers being changed, check that also, do not think it is electrical

jvoisel

Wipers were indeed changed too. I let the heads soak for about two hours and the test print still looks the same.

How could I go about testing the pumps?