• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SCAM alert

Fanaticus

so what's the deal with these scams anyway?

We got our first one last week, someone wanting 70 banners made saying "save the children" or something like that.

We don't really advertise banners, and never advertised that we print on banners.
And I knew from reading here that it was a scam so just deleted it.

But what's the deal with them? I know ultimately their goal is to get information or money from you, but what's their process?

Got this one today!

From Brad Collins luda2008jou@gmail.com

Hello i would like to order some product from your store to mine in australia .so let me know if can ship down to australia so that i can email you the product i am interested in.also Payment will be done via credit card details if you do accept that let me know so that i can place my order and the Items will be picked Up by my shipping Company at you store,please Get back to me so that i can email you the items i am interested . address:21/49 Norcal Road Nunawading, Victoria Australia 3131 Phone (+61 ) 9873 7677 Fax
(+61 ) 9873 7655 Thanks

sfr table hockey

so what's the deal with these scams anyway?

We got our first one last week, someone wanting 70 banners made saying "save the children" or something like that.

We don't really advertise banners, and never advertised that we print on banners.
And I knew from reading here that it was a scam so just deleted it.

But what's the deal with them? I know ultimately their goal is to get information or money from you, but what's their process?

The basic way is when they ask you to pay the shipping company up front. They want you to use a (bogus credit card) that they give you to charge $$ to. Then they want you to wire that money cash to them. They get the shipping cash and thats all they want. Nothing else. They can care less if the job was quoted $10,000 for the job. After a while you get notice that the charge you placed on the credit card was fraud and you have to pay that back.

Same way is when people offer to buy somthing for sale ( a car, dishwasher etc.) and say they want to pay by cheque and send more money than what was owed and ask for the difference to be sent back due to the error. By the time the cheque clears and comes back NSF you have sent the overpayment back to them and that is what they get out of it.

I got the "hi grandpa..... it's me your grandson" call a while back. My kids still ride the bus to school........... now ever since then, I feel like an old fart.

HulkSmash

SO i played this one scam out. William gave me a fake credit card, and was emailing me 4 times a day trying to get me to help him pay the shipper. He even called pretending to be hearing impaired and had someone from At&t translate. It was hilarious. He was pretty angry.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Newest one I just got here....

Email came from jkeck@elveeltd.com

Not surprising that domain was only registered yesterday and has no content... The main phone number is an invalid area code - should actually be 832 area code - googling it that way pulls up a few with the same number but different extensions for other scammy sounding stuff and yes - "banners.below" was formatted as a link in the email even though it's invalid.... lol

"Subject: Order Request

Hello Customer,
Jack Keck with Elvee Limited.I want to make an order on banners.Below is the specification:

Quoting;
Size:3ft x6 ft
Banners: Printing one side on 13oz Premium Scrim Matte or Glossy Vinyl with metal grommets.
Artwork:"Every dance has a story,come tell yours with Elvee Limited on our 10th Anniversary Celebration."

I will like you to get back to me with the total pick up price for 100 pieces of the banners and also type of credit cards accepted by your company for payment.I look forward to hearing from you soon

Best Regards
Jack Keck

Elvee Limited
1702 Post Office St. ,Galveston, TX ,77550
P:823-713-8267 ext 328
F:480) 287-9189"