Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scam-Harlan Hales is back

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Gwen Snow, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Gwen Snow

Gwen Snow New Member

Jul 6, 2020
    San Marcos,CA
    Hey All,
    Received an email for 200 banners- thought ok, that's a lot-but who knows. Gave the quote -then next emails-did not feel right-
    Email- harlan9007@gmail.com
    phone number 785-505-7221
    His company is Harlan & Sons & he is a broker!

Good day,
    My name is Harlan Hales. I would like to place an order on Vinyl banners.
    size: 32 " x 60" Finished
    Qty 200
    13oz. scrim banner
    There should be 8 grommets 4 in the top and 4 in the bottom. Also let me know the form of Payment you Accept, as well as if I am making this order with the Manager or Owner. What's the eta on how long it will take to be ready once I make payment? I will be awaiting your response back the soonest.
    Thank You.
    Harlan Hales

NEXT EMAIL-
    I am okay with the cost and would like to proceed. I want you to get the shipping price for the Order to Honolulu, HI so that you can add it to the total cost of the Order and I will call to make payment altogether. I want you to contact New Port Logistics regarding picking up the Order at your end.
    Here's the shipping address 500 Alakawa St Rm 120 Honolulu, HI 96817.
    Here is their contact details
    Forwarders Details:
    NEW PORT LOGISTICS CO.
    POC: John Mclaren
    E-mail: newportlogistics@tutamail.com
    Thank you.
    Harlan Hales

I asked for his business address & his artwork- No address but got the artwork for an HIV/AIDS message
    upload_2020-10-13_12-41-57.png

Things did not add up so call my friend Teresa-it's a scam that has been around for a while. So fellow Sign Companies-he's back to con some more companies! Be aware! Esp-why buy from me in CA to ship to HI:|
    Stay safe & well all!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Protip:
    Last time I got an email just like this, I quoted the price of a new router I've been looking at. They totally did not respond to me!

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  3. Gwen Snow

Gwen Snow New Member

Jul 6, 2020
    San Marcos,CA
    HA! Good for you:)

4. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

The latest version of this I got was asking for BLM banners

5. appropriate1

appropriate1 New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    McHenry, IL
    Fot those who think this is not a scam if they offer payment up front, it is important to understand the whole scam. I THINK it is one I have seen for at least 20 years now and I THINK this is how it works... You quote 200 banners andthey ask you to add shipping to some far away place. This one was Hawaii, but most I see are foreign, so shipping is as much or more than the banners. You are offered payment up front for the total, which will come as a cashier's check, including the shipping fee. Then, his special logistics guy comes for the shipment pickup and you are to pay him the shipping fee out of your prepayment. You pay and two weeks later find out the cashier's check bounces, which yes, they can be fake. You are out the cost of 200 banners and whatever payment you gave the logistics guy. There may be ways to check out the shipper and think you verify the job, but it is best just to be aware and don't even respond. Typically, they have a charitable or religious message, as this is part of trying to make yout think they are good people with good intentions. When they tried it with me, I tied up the logistics guy in my shop basement with some duct tape and double sided banner tape over his mouth and an open can of T205 thinner, which acts as a true serum....Oh know...I have to go...that was a month ago and I think he is still down there. Gotta run...

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. SignGuy45212

SignGuy45212 Printing, Engraving, CNC Routing

Feb 21, 2019
    Ohio
    source says he's in Lawrence, KS
    https://validnumber.com/phone-number/7855057221/

more info:
    Lee Roberts, Northwood Ln, Lawrence Kansas 785-505-7221

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020 at 11:14 AM
  7. Boudica

Boudica Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    Let's storm his house!

8. Reveal1

Reveal1 Active Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Probably an abandoned number. If he's still there, the guy that used to have that number is going to have to deal with Boudica.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  9. premiercolour

premiercolour Sales and services from S. California

Am in.

10. Jester1167

Jester1167 Premium Subscriber