• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scam?

knucklehead

Got an email from Sev in Russia wanting to inquire about some wall graphics. Not the usual broken English like most scammers, actually as good or better than mine. Had contact info, phone #, web-site, address, etc. Wanted to know if I could ship directly to Russia. I told him/her I ship graphics world-wide, and I don't see Russia being any different. I also told him/her I only accept PayPal payments for any international order. He replied back the PP would be OK, and they were getting a list of graphics they wanted. Probably won't turn into anything, other than a different twist on a scam, but it got me to thinking;

If one use's a stolen credit card through PayPal, who's on the hook when stuff hits the fan? Me, or PP?

Locals Find!

Got an email from Sev in Russia wanting to inquire about some wall graphics. Not the usual broken English like most scammers, actually as good or better than mine. Had contact info, phone #, web-site, address, etc. Wanted to know if I could ship directly to Russia. I told him/her I ship graphics world-wide, and I don't see Russia being any different. I also told him/her I only accept PayPal payments for any international order. He replied back the PP would be OK, and they were getting a list of graphics they wanted. Probably won't turn into anything, other than a different twist on a scam, but it got me to thinking;

If one use's a stolen credit card through PayPal, who's on the hook when stuff hits the fan? Me, or PP?

Paypal would be. There security is pretty tight if it makes it through you should be covered.

GVP

Beware of reversals if using Paypal - it can happen some time after the transaction and Paypal have been known to favour the purchaser when deciding these.

knucklehead

That's kinda what I thought, since it wouldn't be an Ebay purchase. I don't know where he got my email from, unless off my old website.

Just another thought, How would I know if anyone used a credit card through PayPal, stolen or not? I don't believe I've ever seen a funding source on my PP invoices from others.

From now on, all international orders will be paid for in goats, and chickens, UP FRONT.

Locals Find!

That's kinda what I thought, since it wouldn't be an Ebay purchase. I don't know where he got my email from, unless off my old website.

Just another thought, How would I know if anyone used a credit card through PayPal, stolen or not? I don't believe I've ever seen a funding source on my PP invoices from others.

From now on, all international orders will be paid for in goats, and chickens, UP FRONT.

Simple make sure that the address where the product is shipping matches the billing address for the card. If your shipping to an address different than the billing address on the card. That will give you notice that its at the minimum fishy.

When I buy stuff online. Most Major companies will only ship to the billing address attached to card. My bank also won't let me pay for things and have them shipped elsewhere unless I notify them first or they decline the transaction. I am not sure if all institutions do this.