• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

scammer alert

WCSign

Youy never know who might fall for it.. so here is your warning.

I got this email today,

Dear Sir/madam,
My name is Robert McClane from McClane Enterprises and am willing to purchase some banners from your company.
The description for the banners are as follow:
Sizes: 3ft by 6ft
Material & nature: A yellow vinyl material with grommets and hem at the four corners.
Quantity: 80 pieces

I've also attached an artwork.

The banners will be picked up at your location, so please email me back with the total price of the banners without freight charges so that we can proceed on with the order ASAP.Please let me know if you do accept credit cards as form of payment?

Regards

it also came with a pdf file attached.

anyone else get it?

chartle

How do you know its a scam?

The ones I have seen involve having to use some odd freight company to send the banners overseas.

Not saying it isn't just wondering.

StarSign

We get 3-4 of these a month.....the last one gave us a stolen CC number and we were able to get enough info from the guy that the police were able to catch him. Bad boy, bad boy.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
They are always scams. When was the last time you got a random email from a new customer who is "willing" to order a large quantity of something from your company? Particularly with somewhat unusual language going on. By themselves some of the words are not unusual but in context it is obvious the person writing the message does not speak English as their first language.

Description for the banners.... description of
Sizes..... there is only one size
A yellow vinyl material..... who says that?
attached an artwork..... attached the
only hemming the corners???
proceed on.....
if you do accept...... if you accept

It screams scam. This particular one goes back some time as well. http://glassmagazine.com/glassblog/warning-fake-shipping-company-scam?page=14&p=

I'm pretty sure we have gotten the exact same one as well at some point. While in some respects I feel slightly bad for those who actually fall for these I also tend to see it as natural selection in progress.

WCSign

They are always scams. When was the last time you got a random email from a new customer who is "willing" to order a large quantity of something from your company? Particularly with somewhat unusual language going on. By themselves some of the words are not unusual but in context it is obvious the person writing the message does not speak English as their first language.

Description for the banners.... description of
Sizes..... there is only one size
A yellow vinyl material..... who says that?
attached an artwork..... attached the
only hemming the corners???
proceed on.....
if you do accept...... if you accept

It screams scam. This particular one goes back some time as well. http://glassmagazine.com/glassblog/warning-fake-shipping-company-scam?page=14&p=

I'm pretty sure we have gotten the exact same one as well at some point. While in some respects I feel slightly bad for those who actually fall for these I also tend to see it as natural selection in progress.

and they say all us SC boys are dumb hicks! :thumb:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Heh.... at least that's the way SC is portrayed in any national news mentions. If something happens here, CNN or whoever WILL find the most backwards inbred hick to interview.... they also, if at all humanly possible, will try to get a mobile home with at least one vehicle on some concrete blocks in the shot. lol

Also - I knew this one sounded recently familiar. Got it a couple of weeks ago - sitting in my deleted items.

Attachments

• banners-1.jpg
    banners-1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 73

WCSign

Heh.... at least that's the way SC is portrayed in any national news mentions. If something happens here, CNN or whoever WILL find the most backwards inbred hick to interview.... they also, if at all humanly possible, will try to get a mobile home with at least one vehicle on some concrete blocks in the shot. lol

Also - I knew this one sounded recently familiar. Got it a couple of weeks ago - sitting in my deleted items.

I knew someone would have to have gotten it

The interview criteria usually involves a hat with a hook

toucan_graphics

I got a similar same scam about 6 moths ago for screen printed shirts. They asked for a quote for 400 shirts with a Bible verse. Seemed like a legitimate request at first until I quoted the job and they responded with questionable payment details and offered an additional $2,000 to combine shipping of other goods overseas that their "partner" would drop off at my location.
I told them they could pay for the shirts up front and in full, and after the payment cleared I would give them to their "partner" to ship with the items himself. Then a lengthy pitch followed about why they couldn't ship on their own etc etc.

chartle

freight probably comes into play once you say they are ready for pickup :thumb:

Yea I guess this was just the bait.

I work for a limo company and get similar requests from overseas. They ask to over charge the CC for X amount to pay for the local meeting planner through Western Union.

Yea right.

TheSnowman

If they type bad and have horrible English, it's a scam in my area. Generally everyone in my town knows me, has been referred to me, or knows my family's last name since we're all in small businesses. When you respond to these losers and tell them to get a life, they get real fired up. It's good stuff. Had one guy threatening me once.

hotrod46

Scam around the clock

We have gotten this twice. Same request, two different companies.
Same scenario already mentioned.
I replied, Thank you for your interest in our company, however, I am quite
certain you will be able to find a vendor for your banners right there in
California.
I have stated before in these posts that it is very important to have a
specific way you do business. In this request, the "client" attempts to
change our protocols, or to get us to change them. When this happens
our staff alerts us to the variance and it is stopped with little wasted
energy.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I'm not exactly sure how these scams work, but I don't think it's to get free banners. I think the scam has something to do with the reversal of funds on the credit card. Somehow, they scam you to give them a partial refund of an overpayment or something.

chartle

I'm not exactly sure how these scams work, but I don't think it's to get free banners. I think the scam has something to do with the reversal of funds on the credit card. Somehow, they scam you to give them a partial refund of an overpayment or something.

Something like they insist you only use their shipper and of course they only take western union money orders, but they tell you just use the soon to be found out bogus/stolen CC . So instead of just being out some materials you are out real cash when you get the charge back.

Last edited:

klingsdesigns

Got this today.

Hello, i am Eric Morris and i want to know if you can get me blank t
shirt with the following details
Short Sleeve
Size: Adult small
Color: Ash
50/50% Cotton
Brand: Gildan OR Hanes
Quantity: 1000 Pcs

Please send me the pricing with tax for the above material. Also let
me know the surcharges for using MC / Visa Card for payment.Please do
include your address and phone number as well so that i can proceed
further..
Thank You

Mosh

I have operator assisted calls (for deaf people) wanting to buy blank T-Shirts...happens about three-four times a year. Kinda freaky.