• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Scan motor error message

Jim Hill

I have an SP-300V which I have owned for years and today I received my first scan error.

I had just printed something and when it started to cut the magenta colored line it just kept going around in circles instead of moving on to the next image to cut.

I cleaned the encoder strip and replaced the blade in the cutter and tried everything again with the exact same result as the first time.

My question is do you think it is a sensor or the scan motor that needs to be replaced?

Thanks Jim

Jim Hill

I am have turned over the encoder strip and cleaned and reinstalled with a New Roland Sensor and will try this first.

The scanner motor was replaced about 3 or 4 years ago and this is a printer that only gets used a few hours a week so the motor does not have many hours on it.
I understand scanner motors can still go bad and I do have another I can try if I need to.

Thanks for offer help. Jim

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Which motor error are you getting? Try running an environmental match. That should sync up the motor encoder and encoder strip.

Scott at Roland

Another thing to check would be the Carriage Wire - those printers used a wire instead of a belt for the print carriage. The wires could stretch and loosen over time which can throw motor errors. Most Roland dealer technicians carry a meter to check wire tension on those printers and the adjustment is pretty straightforward. Might be worth checking.

Jim Hill

I turned over the encoder strip and cleaned it good and installed the new sensor but when I put if all back together and ran it I received a carriage was not connected error.
I checked the carriage cables to be sure they were seated properly and that look fine. The scanner motor error seems to have gone away.
On Tuesday morning I will once again clean the encoder strip just to make sure it clean and then I will retire everything again.

Maybe it time for a New encoder strip and scanner motor.

Thanks Jim

C5 Service&Repair

Hi Jim,
One thing to always check when getting a 'carriage is not connected' error is the belt tension. 99 out of 100 times I've come across that error, the belt tension was off, or the belt itself was bad.

Jim Hill

Thanks to everyone for all of the great advice on things to check.
I will make the changes and get back to you with the results within a few day's. I am fighting off a bad case of the flu while trying to work on the printer at the same time.

Thanks again Jim