• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scanner

hatmanok

What is the best res for a scanner for sign work? My old scanner bit the dust and I need to get a new one. Any suggestions?

signswi

From what I understand Microtek is virtually a dead company, in the early 00's their scanners were very good but that's a decade ago already.

Best for photo isn't exactly accurate either, since flatbeds aren't ideal (though the shortcomings can be someone mitigated by fluid mounting). Of course, we're getting sidetracked--I strongly support the Epson v series, and even the Epson scanning software is quite good if you don't have access to Silverfast. Not going to "go wrong" with either company though.

round man

You don't say which OS you are running but if I were you I would be sure to check that the scanner is compliant with "windows image acquisition"(WIA) before I spent any money. It seems Mickeysoft in their infinite wisdom decided to change the way scanners work when they went to vista from xp. The old twain format used in win xp will not work in vista or windows 7,they have to be WIA compliant in order for their drivers to function in the newer operating systems. So be sure you have access to win 7 drivers before you buy,....

OldPaint

From what I understand Microtek is virtually a dead company, in the early 00's their scanners were very good but that's a decade ago already.

Best for photo isn't exactly accurate either, since flatbeds aren't ideal (though the shortcomings can be someone mitigated by fluid mounting). Of course, we're getting sidetracked--I strongly support the Epson v series, and even the Epson scanning software is quite good if you don't have access to Silverfast. Not going to "go wrong" with either company though.
to be totally honest, most scanners/copiers are CANON GUTS!!!!
it is still one of the best on the market.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/scanners/film_negative_scanners/canoscan_5600f