• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

School Me On DX Printheads...DX4, DX5, DX6, DX7....

player

What are the differences? Features? Single pass print width? Colour capabilities...etc.

I have DX4 x 2 and I am thinking about getting a new printer.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Passes is a function of the machine and rip and has nothing to do with the head. The heads you mention are all Epson heads. There are other brands out there as well such as Ricoh and HP (HP will only be on an HP brand machine).\

I'm not sure of the specifics off the top of my head on the specific drop sizes and native resolution capabilities of each but technology progresses and improves so later generations will have better specs.

DX4 - 2 channel head with that goes back to at least 2003, there are also DX2 heads, not sure about DX1. Most machines with DX4 heads have between 1 and 4 heads depending on the ink configuration. 2 head would generally be CMYK, 3 head some Mimaki JV3 models would be CMYKLcLm, 4 head either dual CMYK or CMYKLcLmXX. Advantage - if a head is failing you are only replacing 2 ink channels (could be both cyan for example or 2 different colors). Disadvantage - very dated and if a head is replaced the alignment to the other heads is very time consuming and tricky to get just right.

DX5 - 8 channel head. Goes back to around 2007 or so and is still considered fairly current and sold in many machines. Most machines using a DX5 are single head machines which eliminates all alignment issues and only have one capping top and pump. Some multi-head DX5 machines like the Mimaki JV5 are also made but are much more difficult to align and maintain - on these the heads are staggered and the purpose is just for additional printing speed. A single DX5 head can print slightly faster than a 4 head DX4 based machine and is ultimately a LOT easier to maintain and deal with. Disadvantage - the DX5 head is twice the cost of a DX4 head and if one channel goes out the whole head (all 8 ink channels) are replaced. Currently in my opinion for the price - about the best option out there is a printer with a single DX5 like a Mimaki JV33.

Somewhere in here is also a narrow format 4 channel version of the DX5 used in some Epson desktop R series printers as well. I've never heard of this version being used in wide format machines.

DX6 - essentially the exact same head as a DX5 but in a smaller diameter vertically oriented package.

DX7 - the newest Epson head tech. I think the DX7 heads have 10 channels and a smaller drop size capability but I'm not 100% sure and have not really looked into the specs on them yet.

Sunney

Thank you Player...
I need a Flatbed Printer for printing on 8x4 ft 3mm Acrylic /PETG, CAB etc.(to be Vacuum-formed after printing for outdoor signs).
At least initially I dont expect huge volumes to go for a latest, high-cost highspeed printer at a big budget.

1. Which is a VFM, cost-effective Printer? (8x4 ft. a must)
2. Is it advisable/workable to retrofit any latest Heads like Epson Dx7, or other like Konica, Kyocera to an old model to build a low cost proposition ?

Any enlightenment in this is highly appreciable...