• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

School me on Grommets

RatherDashing

I'm going to make my first banner and need some advice on which grommet setter to buy (if any). Are there better brands? Brands to stay away from? What about the grommets themselves? Should I skip the metal grommets and go with plastic Banner-Ups? Let's pretend for this, I have no budget limits at the moment. I would also appreciate any advice when using a grommet setter, or any literature to read about it.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
We sell the Hiker press which includes a box of 500 grommets + Free Shipping. Check it out here.

While plastic grommets work in some cases you can't go wrong with the metal ones and they are cheap enough that you might as well go with them. Also, I have never spoken to someone who used a hand held grommet die and hammer who didn't end up switching to a press.

letterman7

Yep, all of the above. Did the hammer die and punch for years. Finally broke a finger when I missed in a rush one day. Bought a Hiker the next day.

d fleming

This one is about twenty years old.

Attachments

• grommet stomper.JPG
    grommet stomper.JPG
    343.6 KB · Views: 378

CL Visual

just moved on from a cheap chinese grommet machine. I went with the hiker and couldn't be happier. My production guy is much happier as well.

zspace

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to make my first banner and need some advice on which grommet setter to buy (if any). Are there better brands? Brands to stay away from? What about the grommets themselves? Should I skip the metal grommets and go with plastic Banner-Ups? Let's pretend for this, I have no budget limits at the moment. I would also appreciate any advice when using a grommet setter, or any literature to read about it.

Get a good machine with a #2 die if you can afford it. Our oldest has lasted 15 years so far. As for brand, just to mix thing up - we like our Stimpsons. Either Hiker or Stimpson will work, but pick the one with a local grommet supplier. We have an ebay/amazon chinese machine - it is not very durable.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
The hand punch is a bit slower than a grommet machine, but if you are only doing a few banners a week it will be fine. If you are doing a few banners a day, then a grommet machine will ultimately save you a few dollars (time). Of course, if you are a production facility, you will likely need an automated specialty machine.

The most important thing is that the grommets be solid brass or other non-corrosive material. The cheap brass plated steel washers you will find at the local hardware store will rust.

2B

If I get a Hiker, will it work with any #2 grommets, or does it take proprietary?

The "die" determines the size/type of the grommet.

it "should" work with all #2 grommets. however, with our testing and price shopping. the OEM Hiker grommets are as competitive as they come

Dan360

If I get a Hiker, will it work with any #2 grommets, or does it take proprietary?

We use a hiker and #2 grommets. Grimco sent us another brand of #2 by accident and they did NOT fit, so be careful. That may have just been that one brand though, I forget what they were exactly. Test as suggested.

player

The "die" determines the size/type of the grommet.

it "should" work with all #2 grommets. however, with our testing and price shopping. the OEM Hiker grommets are as competitive as they come

The particular dies are made for each particular brand of grommet. So they "SHOULD NOT " work with all #2 grommets.

Andy D

Plus one for Hiker, I wish it had a spring handle like they do on the Fasnap one,
but its design makes it so that it takes about 1/3 of the force required to set grommets.

CCSG

Premium Subscriber
Edward Segal would be the best option in my opinion.

MOD EDIT

Last edited by a moderator: