Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on Grommets

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Hardware' started by RatherDashing, Nov 19, 2018.

1. RatherDashing

RatherDashing Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Oregon
    I'm going to make my first banner and need some advice on which grommet setter to buy (if any). Are there better brands? Brands to stay away from? What about the grommets themselves? Should I skip the metal grommets and go with plastic Banner-Ups? Let's pretend for this, I have no budget limits at the moment. I would also appreciate any advice when using a grommet setter, or any literature to read about it.

Tags:
  2. Brandon708

Brandon708 Very Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Orland Park, IL
    Starting out I would suggest Hiker Grommet press and #2 Nickle Grommets.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
  5. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    We sell the Hiker press which includes a box of 500 grommets + Free Shipping. Check it out here.

While plastic grommets work in some cases you can't go wrong with the metal ones and they are cheap enough that you might as well go with them. Also, I have never spoken to someone who used a hand held grommet die and hammer who didn't end up switching to a press.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Yep, all of the above. Did the hammer die and punch for years. Finally broke a finger when I missed in a rush one day. Bought a Hiker the next day.

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  7. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    This one is about twenty years old.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. RatherDashing

RatherDashing Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Oregon
    #2 is the way to go for banners, I assume?

9. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Yes

10. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    If you just have one banner and a few grommets get a hand punch kit for a few bucks.

11. CL Visual

CL Visual Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Copiague, NY
    just moved on from a cheap chinese grommet machine. I went with the hiker and couldn't be happier. My production guy is much happier as well.

12. zspace

zspace Merchant Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Get a good machine with a #2 die if you can afford it. Our oldest has lasted 15 years so far. As for brand, just to mix thing up - we like our Stimpsons. Either Hiker or Stimpson will work, but pick the one with a local grommet supplier. We have an ebay/amazon chinese machine - it is not very durable.

13. kcollinsdesign

kcollinsdesign Active Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Normal, Illinois
    The hand punch is a bit slower than a grommet machine, but if you are only doing a few banners a week it will be fine. If you are doing a few banners a day, then a grommet machine will ultimately save you a few dollars (time). Of course, if you are a production facility, you will likely need an automated specialty machine.

The most important thing is that the grommets be solid brass or other non-corrosive material. The cheap brass plated steel washers you will find at the local hardware store will rust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. RatherDashing

RatherDashing Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Oregon
    If I get a Hiker, will it work with any #2 grommets, or does it take proprietary?

15. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    The "die" determines the size/type of the grommet.

it "should" work with all #2 grommets. however, with our testing and price shopping. the OEM Hiker grommets are as competitive as they come

16. Dan360

Dan360 Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    We use a hiker and #2 grommets. Grimco sent us another brand of #2 by accident and they did NOT fit, so be careful. That may have just been that one brand though, I forget what they were exactly. Test as suggested.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Grommetmart.com

18. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    The particular dies are made for each particular brand of grommet. So they "SHOULD NOT " work with all #2 grommets.

19. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Plus one for Hiker, I wish it had a spring handle like they do on the Fasnap one,
    but its design makes it so that it takes about 1/3 of the force required to set grommets.

20. CCSG

CCSG Premium Subscriber

Edward Segal would be the best option in my opinion.

MOD EDIT

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2018