• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scitex FB 550 White Print Head Problem.

szpion

Hi.
Printer Scitex FB 550
I've changed white ink recently and printed few things with white backup. Everything was ok. Today I started printing something with white backup and after few passes it stopped printing white.
I tried to print ink jet health but it was just dropping white ink like in the photo.
https://ibb.co/bZKSPo
bZKSPo

So I checked vacuum pressure and it was 5-5.2, checked for leaking and there was no problem but after that I had error like on the photo below
https://ibb.co/cw2p4o
https://ibb.co/nd7p4o
nd7p4o

cw2p4o

So i cranked up vacuum pressure 5-5.4
Checked vacuum one more time it works on white head lines, Changed white ink to the new one, checked plugs and still the same.
Please if anyone can help.

clarizeyale

silly question but is your nozzle for the ink disposal closed? I think that somehow effects the vacuum (may be wrong)

Also, I recommend checking your jet health before your first print of the day (HP recommends at the beginning of every day but I don't always print every day....) just to make sure all the heads are running fine.

When the nozzles don't print, I do a purge (not an air purge, just a color purge in the ink window) then check again. I repeat if necessary but after a few times, it sometimes turns into cleaning the printhead which allows me to see if there's anything more going on in there.

I think we had something similar going on with our magenta which led to problems with the thermistor but that required a tech to come in and help. [edit! it was actually the complete opposite. we had NO magenta coming up... T_T]

If a nozzle check, purge, and cleaning doesn't help.. I'd suggest calling support.

Last edited:

szpion

Thanks. I print jet health every second day and nozzles was in perfect shape so far. We called tech support, printer is still on warranty. But we don't know how long we will need to wait for the tech guy they are from Calgary. I can print with other colors but I don't know that i should. Now its pretty busy so we need a printer working asap.

clarizeyale

Thanks. I print jet health every second day and nozzles was in perfect shape so far. We called tech support, printer is still on warranty. But we don't know how long we will need to wait for the tech guy they are from Calgary. I can print with other colors but I don't know that i should. Now its pretty busy so we need a printer working asap.

I usually tell them "we're down" and then someone else throws a fit and they kind of expedite a tech.... LOL

Can you take off the service side (not the little door but that big covering) and open up and see if somethings pinched?

szpion

I usually tell them "we're down" and then someone else throws a fit and they kind of expedite a tech.... LOL
We are in Canada and you can't do that here;) Need to be polite. Checked everything today, remove both side covers, print head seems to be fine. Tech was saying on the phone what to do. Even checked Waste ink container valve.
When you purging white you can see that ink is coming. While you printing its making little dots like nozzles are stuck. But when you do the jet health its like on the photo.
And you can see on the head that white is leaking, its formatting drops when on the other pinheads it looks completely like flat.

clarizeyale

my help stops here as I haven't had this particular problem happen yet! I hope a tech comes out sooner rather than later though.

It does sound like somethings pinched or stuck. or maybe something is not in place correctly

for ex... for our magenta not working, the thermistor has a rubber ring that you're supposed to attach so it seals. if it's not correctly installed, it wont properly seal. but you'd have to open a few things just to see and know :/

Good luck!!

szpion

When your go to this vacuum menu and do the vacuum reading he is asking that you want to adjust it if its higher then 6 and lower then 5.10, tech guy sad that it was to low(5.2) and ask to crank it up to 5.4.
While there was setting up printer they also set vacuum pressure to 5.4 and he was showing us how to do that.

szpion

my help stops here as I haven't had this particular problem happen yet! I hope a tech comes out sooner rather than later though.

It does sound like somethings pinched or stuck. or maybe something is not in place correctly

for ex... for our magenta not working, the thermistor has a rubber ring that you're supposed to attach so it seals. if it's not correctly installed, it wont properly seal. but you'd have to open a few things just to see and know :/

Good luck!!
Thanks. Let you now what was wrong.

szpion

Problem solved. They send us bad batch of white ink. It had to much pigment or something like that. It was way heavier then new ink that came today. So just we just empty white heads ant fill them twice with new ink. Working good so far but since we had problem with white ink automatic maintenance doesn't work anymore and I don't know way.

clarizeyale

ooh! how funny that that was a problem. I had a bad magenta once that said it was empty but it was clearly full!

that really sucks about auto maintenance. plz update for future reference :) I hope you get it fixed soon!

szpion

Auto maintenance works again. Just start working after we replaced ink(I replaced ink yesterday afternoon - maintenance was set up on 12:00). Weird that it wasn't working before, maybe due to this A/D count error or something.

Pitzu

In electronics, A/D means analog-to-digital. Basically it converts an analog signal (from a sensor) to a digital signal to be interpreted by a microprocesor.
In your case could have been an ink level sensor problem. I don't know how is your printer measuring the ink level but usually it's a floating sensor that transmits an analog signal to the A/D counter.