• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scitex FB500 Aluminum Signs Scratching

jmolleur

Hey guys, first time posting!

We bought a Scitex FB500 around 5 months ago and we have had a few customers call back saying there signs are scratching very easily. We mostly print on 4mil coro and .040 aluminum. We don't have any issues with scratching on the coro, just the aluminum. We print quite a few real estate signs and they are scratching when used with the metal frames. For a temporary fix we have been using a cold roll laminate, which works but is time consuming. It also leaves a slight haze.

We also tried some UV liquid laminate, which saves us quite a bit in costs. However it has a slight yellow color and we still have to setup a screen, and manually print each sign.

I've read about spray laminates, but not sure if that is cost effective on larger runs.

Any suggestions?

First time posting, let me know if I left anything out.

G3

SERICOL Uvijet Adhesion Promoter #ZE680

We use SERICOL Uvijet Adhesion Promoter #ZE680 on all of our acrylics, but I have heard of printers also using it on aluminum.

If you use it, make sure the room is well ventilated!!!

This liquid should be applied in a circular pattern and allowed to dry for about 20-30 minutes. It makes the UV inks adhere much better to these substrates.

GOOD LUCK.

Sorry it's a year after your post. Maybe it will help. :)

Gary

fozzie

Realtors abuse the crap out of their signs. Throw them in the back of trucks, in trunks, etc, on top of other metal signs and who knows what else. No uv print on aluminum will stand up to that and not scratch. From our experience, that's what the issue is.
In our area, we don't do them anymore as there is no profit in them. If we do we print vinyl, over lam and apply.