• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scoring Vinyl Banners?

Happyprinter

Hello all, I am fairly new to the Banner business and am wondering if there is an easier way to score the outer edges of our vinyl banners. We are currently using a ruler and a scoring bone to crease the edges before we apply double sided tape to seal the edges before adding the grommets. Takes a lot of time and effort. Is there a hand tool that you could set say for 2" and run along the edges creating a score? Have been unable to locate anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

sfr table hockey

The method I use was posted on 101 a long time back so I can't remember to whom the credit should go to but here it is.

I don't score the fold area but do have a board cut 2 1/8" wide and that is my guide width. I lay the banner face down and mark a solid line 2 1/8" from the edge of the banner material. From there I lay the hem tape (1 inch wide) along the marked line so that the outside edge of the tape is on that line. This should leave 1 1/8" of the banner as is and then 1 inch of tape. I start about the middle of the banner and fold up the edge of the banner media to the outer edge of the tape (and marked line). I just touch the edge enough to stay put and contine all the way down. Then come back and tack the edge further till the seam is flat.

What the extra 1/8" does is it give space for air to release and will not trap in air bubbles in the hem.

I found that if you did a bit of reverse with hem tape by placing the tape on the outer edge of the banner and then try to fold up to a line by folding up the taped edge, it seemed harder to get the edge to stay even. It was much better for me to have the tape on the 2 1/8" mark and fold the outer edge up to that point. Even my 5 year old was able to do a scrap banner this way all by her self and I don't mean that in a bad way toward anyone but rather that it seems to be an easy to do it this way.

I have never had a bad hem and other than after the banner is rolled the wrong way, the hem always looks good from the front.

Hope this helps.

Sticky Signs

If taping a banner, I print a .25 pt key line that's 1" in from the edges. After trimming, I flip the banner over and fold it according to the key line. I was using a felt squeegee to help flatten the fold. I recently had to finish a banner at a friends shop and he introduced me to "wallpaper seem" roller. It's got a big rubber wheel and does a great job of flattening the fold with any scuffs from the squeegee. It's on my shopping list. BTW, I hate taping banners.