Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scoring Vinyl Banners?

Discussion in 'Installation Equipment & Techniques' started by Happyprinter, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Happyprinter

Happyprinter Premium Subscriber

Aug 16, 2011
    Wyoming
    Hello all, I am fairly new to the Banner business and am wondering if there is an easier way to score the outer edges of our vinyl banners. We are currently using a ruler and a scoring bone to crease the edges before we apply double sided tape to seal the edges before adding the grommets. Takes a lot of time and effort. Is there a hand tool that you could set say for 2" and run along the edges creating a score? Have been unable to locate anything. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tags:
  2. sfr table hockey

sfr table hockey Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Alberta
    The method I use was posted on 101 a long time back so I can't remember to whom the credit should go to but here it is.

I don't score the fold area but do have a board cut 2 1/8" wide and that is my guide width. I lay the banner face down and mark a solid line 2 1/8" from the edge of the banner material. From there I lay the hem tape (1 inch wide) along the marked line so that the outside edge of the tape is on that line. This should leave 1 1/8" of the banner as is and then 1 inch of tape. I start about the middle of the banner and fold up the edge of the banner media to the outer edge of the tape (and marked line). I just touch the edge enough to stay put and contine all the way down. Then come back and tack the edge further till the seam is flat.

What the extra 1/8" does is it give space for air to release and will not trap in air bubbles in the hem.

I found that if you did a bit of reverse with hem tape by placing the tape on the outer edge of the banner and then try to fold up to a line by folding up the taped edge, it seemed harder to get the edge to stay even. It was much better for me to have the tape on the 2 1/8" mark and fold the outer edge up to that point. Even my 5 year old was able to do a scrap banner this way all by her self and I don't mean that in a bad way toward anyone but rather that it seems to be an easy to do it this way.

I have never had a bad hem and other than after the banner is rolled the wrong way, the hem always looks good from the front.

Hope this helps.

3. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    If taping a banner, I print a .25 pt key line that's 1" in from the edges. After trimming, I flip the banner over and fold it according to the key line. I was using a felt squeegee to help flatten the fold. I recently had to finish a banner at a friends shop and he introduced me to "wallpaper seem" roller. It's got a big rubber wheel and does a great job of flattening the fold with any scuffs from the squeegee. It's on my shopping list. BTW, I hate taping banners.