• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scrap and core disposal?

API

How do you dispose of your scrap vinyl and cardboard cores? Up until this last month we have rented a construction dumpster and just thrown everything in it and it was hauled off to the landfill roughly twice a month. Then I get a walk-in from a recycling company. He takes one look in our dumpster and says I can recycle it all and charge you less than what you are paying for the landfill. I say too good to be true but we give him the business and he installs a 53' trailer in our parking lot. He just hauled it off last week and then calls me stating that this will be his first and last pickup unless we cut down our cores to 60" or less. There were over 200 cores and the shortest one is 12'. No way! This would be someones full time job just cutting cores all day. I like the idea of recycling but is it really worth the extra effort? Anyone know of a recycling facility that will take 12' to 16' 3" cardboard cores as well as bailed PVC and PE vinyl scrap?

fixtureman

When I was installing Revco drug store equipment we would have 1.5 tons of card board to get rid of I hauled it to a recycle and made money on it.

chafro

Yes you should be getting money on it.

We used to get paid for all our cores and OCC. Now we cut out cores and use them to ship images for some national clients. Now we even need to buy some!

By the way, cutting 200 cores in a simple saw should take no more than an hour. We cut 200 cores in 15-20 minutes with only one person.

API

False alarm!! Just got off the phone with someone higher up at the recycling company and they were able to take care of the cores. Huge savings and now we have little to no waste going into landfills.

SIGNTIME

Yea do it yourself and you'll actually get money for it, its like scrapping metal just you don't get as much it's really only worth it if you have a lot.

TXFB.INS

if you are getting that much scrap then yeah you need to be selling it off, and not paying to have it taken away